Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Maiden Voyage (for me)

Maiden Voyage (for me) 06 Jul 2012 22:05 #1

• mumaluke
  • mumaluke's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
So I am about to take my new (to me) boat out for our maiden voyage. I have fired her up in the driveway the other day, just to make sure I could get her running, but was unable to engage the prop because the bucket we were using was to small to rotate the prop. What should I check before going out tomorrow? Oil? Lower End oil? Not really sure how to check either on that motor yet. ('85 Force, 85 HP)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'85 Bayliner Capri
85 HP Force Motor

Maiden Voyage (for me) 07 Jul 2012 19:17 #2

• Cave Bear
  • Thank you received: 0
First thing I'd do is get a "flush kit" (at least that's what I've always called them). It's a device that attaches to the lower unit over the water intake. You attach a garden hose to that and it allows you to start the engine out of the water. I don't recommend engaging the prop, flush kit or not, when the boat is not in the water.

Since your engine is a 1985, there is no oil to check, per se, since it's almost certainly a 2 stroke engine, since as far as I know, they did not have 4 stroke outboards back then. The oil is mixed with the gasoline, and that is how it gets to the engine. Most 2 strokes these days have a reservoir for the 2 stroke oil and the oil and gas are mixed automatically as the fuel is pumped to the engine. Back in the day, you mixed the gas and oil in the fuel tank, in a ratio I do not remember, as I've never actually owned a boat with a 2 stroke engine. But it is a specific ratio and it would be unwise to mess up on that.

I would suggest checking around at some of the local marine supply houses and see if you can find a service manual for the '85 Force engine. It should contain pretty much everything you need to know, including how to check the oil in the lower unit (also important). That almost certainly needs changing, I'd bet.

It would certainly be a good idea to get the engine checked out before taking it to the marina. There is nothing more embarassing than getting your boat on the ramp only to discover it won't start, go into gear, whatever.

Oh, one other thing; don't forget to put in the DRAIN PLUG. There actually is one thing more embarassing than your boat not starting on the ramp, and that is having your boat sink out from under you because you forgot to put the drain plug in...:eek:

Hope this helps...

"Max Q"
2012 Bayliner 185BR
3.0L Mercruiser TKS, Alpha 1
Lake Conroe, Texas
In memory of "Ginger", The Queen of Lake Conroe

Maiden Voyage (for me) 08 Jul 2012 02:24 #3

• kjs
  • Thank you received: 373

Cave Bear;701530 wrote: Oh, one other thing; don't forget to put in the DRAIN PLUG. There actually is one thing more embarassing than your boat not starting on the ramp, and that is having your boat sink out from under you because you forgot to put the drain plug in...:eek:.

as you WILL forget it once in a while make sure your bilge pump is in good running order........

Your Force is most likely without oil injection which means it runs on a 50:1 mixture, use TCW-3 as oil only and don't save the few cents on TCW-2.

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library
  • Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds