Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fitted tower during the week to 175

Fitted tower during the week to 175 06 Jul 2012 13:04 #1

• kidafa
  • kidafa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,Just thought I'd post my finished product of the tower on my 2006 175. It was a long process to select which tower was going to best suit my boat and I ended up going with a Liquid tower by Indy ( http://www.liquidindy.com/catalogue_product.asp?pid=47 ) Reason for this was It looked like I would be able to get it around my bimini, I didnt have to cut and bolt together any pipes so I thought it would give a more factory look, I liked the simple design as I didnt want to dwarf my 175 and it appeared to be good value for money.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fitted tower during the week to 175 06 Jul 2012 14:05 #2

• kwmeyer13
I don't know anything about towers but it looks like a great choice. Did you do all the work yourself? Do you have any mounting details or tips that might help other people looking to do the same thing or something similiar?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2252 Ciera Classic
305 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen II
Freeport N.Y.

Fitted tower during the week to 175 06 Jul 2012 21:50 #3

• jhenkel
  • Thank you received: 1
Looks great. Nice job!

Doll Finn again
2011 Slate Blue 185br
2008 Yamaha VX Cruiser
2014 Yamaha VXR

Fitted tower during the week to 175 07 Jul 2012 02:17 #4

• wgander
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
The tower will come with instructions. The best tip is to give yourself a lot of time to decide where the mounts will go. You should provide backing plates to distribute the stress (if not included with the tower). Access inside our small boats is really limited - make sure you'll be able to place the backing plates, washers and nuts on the bolts before drilling any holes. Seal holes with 3M 5200. I think I spent more time planning the install than actually doing it. You'll need at least one helper, if only because it's a bit clumsy trying to mate the tubes and mounts.

1998 Capri 1950CL
3 Liter MerCruiser
Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Si-tex ADF, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

Fitted tower during the week to 175 08 Jul 2012 11:55 #5

• kidafa
  • kidafa's Avatar Topic Author
Here is how I wen't on my install, hope it helps someone. This is the first time I've ever done anything like this on a boat and found it rather straight forward. I had done a fair bit of reading online on how others had gone about it.

1. assemble tower with all adjustable fittings loose so they can still be moved with a bit of force
2. set tower legs in the middle of its maximum and minimum distances allowed for legs to be apart
3. Masking tape rags onto the deck mounts of the tower
4. Lift the tower into place on the boat with a helper and position roughly where you would like it to sit
5. Take not of where the mounts sit and remove tower
6. measure from centerline/bow to front mounts on each side and mark
7. measure back from the front mounts the distance between the front and rear legs and mark
8. check inside hull for obstructions ect. and move both marks either way depending on whats in the way
9. drill small pilot hole in hull (ensure drill is in reverse for good half of the hole) and then re-drill with the size of the tower mounts (again in reverse first)
10. use marine 5 ply and cut up some backing plates, mine were about 3inches long on the front by 2.5” high and 4 inches long by 3inches high on the back
11. hold the backing plates in place and have a mate drill a mark in them on each mount and then drill them through
12. sand the inside of the boat where the backing plates are going with 80grit and clean surface with methelated spirits or acetone
13. use automotive fiberglass body bog and put a nice thick layer on each backing plate
14. take a old bolt and place the backing plates in place and bolt them up so that all the bog oozes out but don’t tighten all the way
15. once bog is cured remove bolts and redrill the holes as they will now be bogged up
16. counter sink the holes that you have drilled
17. bolt the deck mounts in place
18. disassemble tower and re assemble one piece at a time on the boat with lock-tight on all threads

I didn’t use a helper at all except for the parts where I stated I did. Did the job over two days but it could have been done in one if that was all I was doing.

Fitted tower during the week to 175 12 Jul 2012 18:50 #6

• whitey382
  • Thank you received: 1

kidafa;701628 wrote: Here is how I wen't on my install, hope it helps someone. This is the first time I've ever done anything like this on a boat and found it rather straight forward. I had done a fair bit of reading online on how others had gone about it.

9. drill small pilot hole in hull (ensure drill is in reverse for good half of the hole) and then re-drill with the size of the tower mounts (again in reverse first)
10. use marine 5 ply and cut up some backing plates, mine were about 3inches long on the front by 2.5” high and 4 inches long by 3inches high on the back
11. hold the backing plates in place and have a mate drill a mark in them on each mount and then drill them through
12. sand the inside of the boat where the backing plates are going with 80grit and clean surface with methelated spirits or acetone
13. use automotive fiberglass body bog and put a nice thick layer on each backing plate
14. take a old bolt and place the backing plates in place and bolt them up so that all the bog oozes out but don’t tighten all the way
15. once bog is cured remove bolts and redrill the holes as they will now be bogged up

nice job re-inforcing the hull where the brackets mount. I've been seeing a lot of people not reinforcing the fiberglass where the tower is mounted. What you listed is pretty much identical to what bayliner did from the factory on my '04 xt. boat is now 8 years old and doesnt have even one stress crack in the gel coat where the mounts are.

Hockey...? Boating...? Hockey...? Boating...? How bout both... :getsmilie
2004 Bayliner 175xt 3.0 carb
Smartsx Tabs - 40 lbs
14.25" x 19" Pitch 4 blade Prop
  • Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds