Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: two-stroke engine bans

two-stroke engine bans 11 Jun 2012 18:39 #1

• jbaker
  • jbaker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Does anyone know of any regulations banning all two-stroke engines? I'm looking at used boats right now, one of which is 2000 Capri with a Mercury 125 hp outboard, which I understand to be a 2-stroke. A local dealer (Colorado) told me that some lakes regulated by both state and federal (eg Powell) governments will be instituting a ban starting next year. Online, I've only been able to find references to bans on 2-stroke PWCs, but not boats, and "potential" for expanding the ban to all boats. We'd be using the boat in CO, other western states, and probably MO (Lake of the Ozarks). Any clarification on 2-stroke regulations/bans in any of these areas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

two-stroke engine bans 11 Jun 2012 18:45 #2

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
I doubt they would get away with it....too many 2 strokes. Check with your state representative...what kind of Capri are you looking at?

two-stroke engine bans 11 Jun 2012 19:22 #3

• Chief Alen
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
Alot i mean alot of lakes now ban 2 strokes.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

two-stroke engine bans 11 Jun 2012 20:26 #4

• jbaker

FISHIN00;694273 wrote: I doubt they would get away with it....too many 2 strokes. Check with your state representative...what kind of Capri are you looking at?

It's a 2000 18 ft. We're looking for an inexpensive boat that will hopefully retain it's value over the next year or two while we figure out if we're going to be a boat family. My wife and I both grew up playing on lakes in Missouri and Georgia, but it's not as easy here in Colorado with a shorter season, fewer lakes, and somany other outdoor options. but we still want to expose our kids to the water activities to see if they like it. Any thoughts you have on the used 18-ft Capri would also be appreciated. Thanks.

two-stroke engine bans 11 Jun 2012 20:27 #5

• jbaker

Chief Alen;694288 wrote: Alot i mean alot of lakes now ban 2 strokes.

Thanks for the reply. Can you give examples? ...it might help me figure out if it's specific to a state or region, federal vs. state, etc.

two-stroke engine bans 11 Jun 2012 20:32 #6

• Optimus
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3
A good source of information can be local bait and tackle shops, along with the local service shops. They often know all the particulars about the local lakes.

to ERR is human.
to ARR is pirate.

two-stroke engine bans 11 Jun 2012 22:23 #7

• oldjeep
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Never heard of anyone banning 2 strokes, that would remove the majority of existing outboards from the lake.

Chuck P
http://www.oldjeep.com
2005 195 Classic (Gone)
2012 Malibu VTX

two-stroke engine bans 11 Jun 2012 22:36 #8

• Brad 3055
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 11
I believe they are banned at Lake Tahoe.

Brad and Marti

FOR SALE: 2001 Ciera 3055 SE "Straight Up"

Twin 5.7 / B2
Westerbeke 4.5
Raymarine C80
2011 Yamaha VXR 1800
2006 Yamaha VX 1100 Deluxe
Tower Park Marina
California Delta

Sea Ray 370 Sundancer 1995 on the way!

two-stroke engine bans 11 Jun 2012 22:47 #9

• kjs
  • Thank you received: 373
one of the things I found via google:
http://www.nps.gov/lake/parkmgmt/twostroke.htm

Just use "lake 2 stroke ban" as search and you get more than you like. Looks like CA is heading the effort. It also looks like 2-stokes meeting the 2006 EPA regulations can be used.

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library

two-stroke engine bans 11 Jun 2012 22:55 #10

• oldjeep
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Seems like yet another reason to stay clear of CA. We've got no nonsense like that around here, it would be hilarious to see someone try to enact a rule like that in MN. Can't even imagine how many 2 stroke outboards there are in MN.

Chuck P
http://www.oldjeep.com
2005 195 Classic (Gone)
2012 Malibu VTX

two-stroke engine bans 11 Jun 2012 22:59 #11

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

jbaker;694309 wrote: It's a 2000 18 ft. We're looking for an inexpensive boat that will hopefully retain it's value over the next year or two while we figure out if we're going to be a boat family. My wife and I both grew up playing on lakes in Missouri and Georgia, but it's not as easy here in Colorado with a shorter season, fewer lakes, and somany other outdoor options. but we still want to expose our kids to the water activities to see if they like it. Any thoughts you have on the used 18-ft Capri would also be appreciated. Thanks.

I have a 2000 Capri 1802 Cuddy Cabin 90hp Merc,5hp Merc 4str kicker.

two-stroke engine bans 11 Jun 2012 23:13 #12

• talman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Look for us in the San Juans
  • Thank you received: 120
The largest lake in Whatcom County, Wa excludes all 2-stroke, including PWC. You can buy them pretty cheap here right now.

Tally and Vicki
"Wickus" Meridian 341
MMSI 338014939

two-stroke engine bans 12 Jun 2012 00:17 #13

• Chief Alen
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
Would i recommend a i/o engine combo yes i would.

18'-20' cuddy with a port-a-potti or your wife and kids.

3.0l engine would burn around 4-5 gallons a hour run time. Maybe a 1992 up should get you on the water cheaply and safely.

With the trailer around 2500 dollars here in Nj.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

two-stroke engine bans 12 Jun 2012 01:30 #14

• kjs
but a 1992 trailer in NJ will consist 99% from rust..... Had to live there for 5 years........ And the boat may have some cracks where it sits on the bunks from the potholes in the highways.

Jürgen

Jürgen's boating library

two-stroke engine bans 12 Jun 2012 06:00 #15

• MikeRoss
Two strokes are banned in Lake Tahoe. Took all the value out of two strokes in this area, affected a lot of jet skis. When the law was implemented several years ago, it was discussed as the future arriving and that we would soon see the same thing at Donner Lake. None of that has come true to date.

Mike Ross & the spirited tigress Jamie Lee
1990 2755 Ciera
Sacramento Delta

two-stroke engine bans 12 Jun 2012 06:09 #16

• MikeRoss
Brad is correct, two strokes are banned at Lake Tahoe. Took all the resale value out of two strokes in this area and got a lot of jet skis off of Tahoe. When the law went into effect several years ago, it was discussed as the future arriving and that it would soon apply at Donner Lake also. None of that has come true to date and in this area, the ban remains only at Lake Tahoe.

Mike Ross & the spirited tigress Jamie Lee
1990 2755 Ciera
Sacramento Delta

two-stroke engine bans 12 Jun 2012 06:41 #17

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
No expert on the subject here, but I was under the impression that these bans were on non-fuel-injected two-strokes.

Regarding the Capri, it's a great starter boat, but I think I would look for an I/O...

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

two-stroke engine bans 12 Jun 2012 10:56 #18

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

jeffw;694492 wrote: No expert on the subject here, but I was under the impression that these bans were on non-fuel-injected two-strokes.

Regarding the Capri, it's a great starter boat, but I think I would look for an I/O...

I agree with Jeff, look for a I/O,since most of your boating will be on lakes with bans. Buying a 2000 Capri with a O/B like mine,switching over to a EFI or 4 stroke would probally be cost prohibative.
BTW The 2000 Capri is a great boat!

two-stroke engine bans 12 Jun 2012 17:25 #19

• jbaker
If anybody has anything else to add, I'm all ears!

two-stroke engine bans 12 Jun 2012 18:02 #20

• kjs
my 2c to that as my last boat was OB powered and the current one is a 3l I/O but it's an unfair comparison as the OB was stone age with tons of hours.
We had nothing but problems with the OB and it did cost us quite a bit to get it to a stage where it wasn't just trouble to go boating so I am a bit (or a lot) negative biased here.
The nice thing with OB's is that you don't have the engine inside the boat where gas fumes can accumulate and when you start the engine boom if you aren't careful. In both types you have the fuel tank inside the boat so there isn't a difference.
The OB's are usually lighter than an I/O which makes the boat less stern heavy but it really depends on the engine type.
OB's are usually pretty cramped inside which makes service difficult but with an I/O the quarters can (and usually are) pretty crowded too which makes it a PITA to reach everything. Not valid for the small bayliners, I have surprisingly good access to the engine and from the pictures that's still valid for the 2012 models. Disadvantage: you have that big hole in the transom where the drive goes through which can leak as well as the steering and controls of the outdrive.

Would I buy an OB again? yes, but only a 4-stroke.
Would I buy an I/O again? yes, but I would be hesitant to buy a modern one with EFI but don't ask me why.....

Jürgen

Jürgen's boating library

two-stroke engine bans 13 Jun 2012 00:13 #21

• Macca
  • Thank you received: 1
I am assuming the ban is purely due to the oil in the water from a 2 stroke? It would seem strange to ban 2 strokes when you have diesels puffing out smoke and oil as well. Please don't take offence all you diesel owners

I have had both 2 stroke OB and now have an I/O.

One thing is the Power rating, my 190HP I/O would equate to a 150HP O/B which is more economical and much lighter so really I need the extra 40Hp to move the extra weight as efficiently as the OB would.

The above post covers most of my thoughts however the I/O does take up some good space inside the boat. I seem to be one of the few who have the V6 I/O which I love, the power over the 3L is very noticeable and for water sports is fantastic. Yes you do use some more fuel but hey it is still a cheap family day out and the V6 sounds great.

Theres my 2c worth

Tony.
Christchurch, New Zealand.
"Thirsty Merc"
2006 185BR Capri
190hp V6
Alpha 1 Gen 2
SX Smart Tabs 60Lb

two-stroke engine bans 13 Jun 2012 01:28 #22

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258
There are Federal laws that ban PWC that are not direct injected. There are also lakes that do not allows 2 cycle motors at all. California has some tough rules for carb'd 2 cycle motors.

The fact of the matter is, a 2 stroke puts about 25% of the lube oil into the water. On a 100 gallon tank at 50:1 ratio that's about two qts straight onto the water.

Now imagine what mess it would be if you multiply that over a thousand boats on a long weekend. Lots of oil on the water.

It's a good thing in the end.

two-stroke engine bans 13 Jun 2012 02:51 #23

• kjs
that's why I never understood why the big US manufacturers of OB's put everything in the development of oil-injected 2-strokes and re-badged Japanese 4-stroke OB's as theirs. The writing was rightfully on the wall. Sure, the 4-strokes are more expensive to manufacture and have a worse power to weight ratio but that doesn't help if the 2-strokes pollute a lot more.

That's one of the reasons I didn't get a boat with OB engine. All the used ones I found had 2-strokes except for one and it looked like it had 1000h on the clock.

Jürgen

Jürgen's boating library

two-stroke engine bans 13 Jun 2012 13:08 #24

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

kjs;694849 wrote: that's why I never understood why the big US manufacturers of OB's put everything in the development of oil-injected 2-strokes and re-badged Japanese 4-stroke OB's as theirs. The writing was rightfully on the wall. Sure, the 4-strokes are more expensive to manufacture and have a worse power to weight ratio but that doesn't help if the 2-strokes pollute a lot more.

That's one of the reasons I didn't get a boat with OB engine. All the used ones I found had 2-strokes except for one and it looked like it had 1000h on the clock.

Oil injected O/B's have been around for over 20years, Fuel injected O/B's around 10 or more. Matter of fact hardly anyone makes carbed 2 stroke O/B's anymore. If my 90hp carbed goes terminal, and the boat is still in good shape,I would go with a new 90 OPTIMAX Merc. As I travel here in the south I see more and more BIG BOATS with O/B's, 2 or 3 275hp to 350hp. 4Str O/B's weigh more than a 2str,but the performance is right up there with most 2strs and they are QUIET. BTW... I am not a fan of I/O's!

two-stroke engine bans 13 Jun 2012 18:19 #25

• JeffBowser
When I bought my '12, I had the choice between the 2 stroke 90 and the 4 stroke 90 on the lot. There was only 24lbs difference between the two. I see mostly outboards around here, aside from the big yachts. On salt it's just plain easier on maintenance and upkeep.

FISHIN00;694907 wrote: Oil injected O/B's have been around for over 20years, Fuel injected O/B's around 10 or more. Matter of fact hardly anyone makes carbed 2 stroke O/B's anymore. If my 90hp carbed goes terminal, and the boat is still in good shape,I would go with a new 90 OPTIMAX Merc. As I travel here in the south I see more and more BIG BOATS with O/B's, 2 or 3 275hp to 350hp. 4Str O/B's weigh more than a 2str,but the performance is right up there with most 2strs and they are QUIET. BTW... I am not a fan of I/O's!

2012 180 OB w/90hp Mercury 4 stroke
MMSI - 338133839
  • Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds