Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pop-up cleats

Pop-up cleats 10 Jun 2012 15:01 #1

• mlines
  • mlines's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
The cleats on our boat were beginning to look a bit rough. Whilst they look ok on the front....

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The underside is beginning to look corroded.

Therefore we purchased some stainless steel "Pop-up" Cleats from Baseline Marine Products. Now, as these are going to require some heavy duty cutting of the boat, I made up a 1:1 template of the holes needed and printing them on self adhesive label. This meant I can stick them to both some cardboard so that I can check the holes are correct and also to the boat itself for the actual cutting. The picture below shows the template. In fact, I adjust this slightly to include centre markings in the drill holes, but this is not shown in this early test template.

I then used some sharp drills and hole cutters to drill out the template that I had stuck to the boat. Here is the cut out version before the holes had been cleaned and sealed. I put sealant in so that water would not leech into the laminate layers after the cleats had been fitted. Note also that Bayliner where not particularly accurate with the alginment of the old cleats with respect to the wooden blocks laminated into the hull. Therefore I had to adjust the positioning of the cleats so the mounting bolts hit the wooden strengther rather than just the fibreglass hull (You can see by the old holes/marks on the picture below the mis-alignment).

And after sealing and tightening the nuts, stand back and admire your work!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bayliner 185 BR
www.sportsboat.org.uk

Pop-up cleats 10 Jun 2012 18:31 #2

• kjs
  • Thank you received: 373
nice job! These pop-up cleats are great as they are better out of the way if not needed.

You were lucky too. In my boat they forgot to laminate the wood support in for one of the cleats. Naturally none of them are stainless steel. The zamak cleats look good the moment the boats go into the show room but after some use the surface plating wears off and they are gone fast.

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library

Pop-up cleats 10 Jun 2012 19:35 #3

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252
Nice job. It was good that you could cover the old holes. That really cleaned up the finished product.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller
  • Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds