Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fire Extinguisher......

Fire Extinguisher...... 08 Jun 2012 16:36 #1

• nit_lion
  • nit_lion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Smaller boats, where did you mount your FE so that it was convenient without it being in the way after having it there for a while? Pics are good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2008 Discovery 192 Cuddy 3.0l
2010 Chevy Tahoe
Pennsylvania

Fire Extinguisher...... 08 Jun 2012 16:46 #2

• pat8839
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Mine is under the glove box...you can see the bottom of it sticking out under the passenger dash

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/693421=28510-front seats.jpg

Fire Extinguisher...... 08 Jun 2012 16:55 #3

• RinnyBeth
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 6
we have a 3888 and there are 5 on board.. we have an emergency brite orange bucket we take in the zodiac when we play on shore.. its got one in it too and the handheld VHF.. can never have too many these days.. all are current and up to date..
:worth

we have only been pulled up to once by the coast guard to check for safety geer for us and the boys... passed with flying colors...AND the boys got 2 free coupons for ice cream at mcdonalds

Fire Extinguisher...... 08 Jun 2012 22:45 #4

• oldjeep
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

pat8839;693421 wrote: Mine is under the glove box...you can see the bottom of it sticking out under the passenger dash

Same place on mine, but laying down on the shelf. Honestly if the boat catches fire, we're grabbing the jackets and jumping overboard not fighting a fire with a mini extinguisher.

Chuck P
http://www.oldjeep.com
2005 195 Classic (Gone)
2012 Malibu VTX

Fire Extinguisher...... 08 Jun 2012 22:59 #5

• kjs
  • Thank you received: 373
mine is on the other side (helm) but same location. To be honest, I am the same as the previous poster. If there's a fire I grab my valet and jump over board as I always wear a life jacket when on board. That's what a good insurance is for.
Family has the instruction to not look anywhere when someone shouts "fire" and just jump. Test it every year at beginning of season and so far it always worked just fine.

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library

Fire Extinguisher...... 08 Jun 2012 23:41 #6

• John C in PA
  • Thank you received: 2
Stb side, horizontal in the storage bin. Close at hand from the helm.

John C

Fire Extinguisher...... 09 Jun 2012 00:01 #7

• Foster
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "Quo Vadimus" 1993 4588
  • Thank you received: 166

RinnyBeth;693426 wrote: we have a 3888 and there are 5 on board.. we have an emergency brite orange bucket

We have 7 on the 4588, and there is one in a bucket with a first aid kit for responding to another boat.

I understand the need to get off the boat in case of fire, but I'd like to make an attempt. So thats why they are scattered everywhere.

Yep, my Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

Fire Extinguisher...... 09 Jun 2012 00:28 #8

• Scrimmer
Unable to provide a picture, maybe this weekend, but I saw someone on this site had it mounted on the side of the lounge passenger chaise, just above the ski locker, I liked that spot so well, that's where I have mine mounted. Easy to get to quickly without having to duck under anything or move out of the way.

And I will be stealing another idea from this post, the fire drill! Thanks again!

2011 175 Bowrider
135 hp 3.0 Merc Alpha 1

Fire Extinguisher...... 09 Jun 2012 00:32 #9

• RinnyBeth
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 6

Foster;693572 wrote: We have 7 on the 4588, and there is one in a bucket with a first aid kit for responding to another boat.

I understand the need to get off the boat in case of fire, but I'd like to make an attempt. So thats why they are scattered everywhere.

I agree, ours are in every stateroom, galley by oven, salon, the zodiac emergency bucket, and the engine room.. we would grab the boys and toss them in the zodiac and give it an effort IF God forbidding we have one on board. We also have a white 1 gallon bucket on deck at all times, so this can be used too (not in electrical though)

by salon door is one

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Fire Extinguisher...... 09 Jun 2012 00:49 #10

• oldjeep
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
A 45ft boat is a bit different than a 19ft lake boat ;)

Chuck P
http://www.oldjeep.com
2005 195 Classic (Gone)
2012 Malibu VTX

Fire Extinguisher...... 09 Jun 2012 04:02 #11

• kent83
On a 175 I keep the extinguisher in the open storage area to the right of the driver's seat -- it's not attached to anything but I can reach down and get it without having to look. Every time I go out I tell my guests that we might get stopped by the state police (the primary authority on the inland waterways in NJ) for a safety check, and it takes 30 seconds to tell everyone where all the safety gear is located. Putting it terms of "the police may ask for this" seems to gets everyone's attention in the right way. Just an aside -- we were out tubing on our last run this evening, just before a glorious sunset, and I stopped the boat to haul the tubers in before going to the boat ramp and here comes the state trooper with the lights flashing. I think, OK we are really going to have our first safety check that I always talk about, but it turns out that he said that since he was right there he just wanted to provide cover as we got the tubers in the boat (the river had gotten pretty crowded by then, but not too bad). We had a nice chat about how to pull tubers safely on the river while still giving them an exciting ride. It was a great way to end the day, and it was really nice to know the troopers are there to help when they can and not just to catch boaters doing wrong. My "crew" was a teenage daughter and two friends, and it was great for them to know that the troopers are "present" but aren't something to be afraid of, as long as you are doing what you should do. I was very proud of our law enforcement officers -- he obviously checked us out (and I don't mean the teenage girls, but I can't say that wouldn't have caught an alert trooper's attention ... but there's a nearby restaurant/bar on the water nearby, and I'm sure drunk boaters on a Friday evening are a constant concern), but did it in a way that left everyone feeling good and safer. It was a very positive encounter, and I'm glad it happened for the young people I had on board.

Kent

Fire Extinguisher...... 09 Jun 2012 10:46 #12

• Chesapeake
  • Thank you received: 8
Fire extinguishers must be mounted. They cannot be loose.

Mine is attached to the open starboard storage area next to the operators chair, below the throttle. Everyone knows how to operate it. Grant it, on a small bow rider that is on fire, getting off the boat (with pfds on) is probably the safer thing to do, unless it is a smoldering electrical fire or something small.

Gregg
2006 225 BR
XT Package
5.0 MPI
Alpha I Gen II
39.41130 N
76.35131W

Fire Extinguisher...... 09 Jun 2012 15:13 #13

• tbear
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3
In my 16', I mounted it on the front of the helm seat box, horizontally. Oddly, I didn't seem to kick it much. Not much room on a 16' boat.

Fire Extinguisher...... 09 Jun 2012 16:47 #14

• kjs
  • Thank you received: 373
it's ironic. they are mandatory yet the boat manufacturers don't bother to make a dedicated space for them nor do they even care whether there's a spot they could be mounted.. At least not on the smaller boats, I've seen dedicated spots on larger ones.
Old story, get over with it cheap.

That reminds me I need a new one for potential inspection. Not that I intend to ever use it (see above). It just shouldn't be in the path I take to jump over board. The under the captains seat mounting seems a good location for this too.

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library

Fire Extinguisher...... 14 Jun 2012 19:41 #15

• Scrimmer
Hopefully the pic works, so here is where I mounted mine.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

2011 175 Bowrider
135 hp 3.0 Merc Alpha 1
  • Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds