Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New 2012 175BR owner here

New 2012 175BR owner here 04 Jun 2012 19:32 #1

• CaptainJC
  • CaptainJC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello everyone, have been reading/absorbing a lot of information on the forum (this forum helped me decide to go with the Bayliner 175).

I took the boat out this weekend for the first time, had a awesome weekend (took delivery Saturday and used it all day sat/sun) Needless to say I am HOOKED, this is our first boat.

Anyway, I am looking to remediate one serious shortcoming of the 2012's... LACK OF GAUGES!

I am going to add a depth finder/engine hour meter soon, and after this weekend, I really don't like the lack of a trim gauge and want to add one. (down the road, if I can find a good spot to mount them, I would like to add engine temp/oil pressure kinda gauges too) just not sure where to put them other than to use automotive gauge "cups" and just line them up over the factory gauges?

Does anyone know if the sending unit is pre-installed on a 2012 Mercruiser 3.0/ Alpha 1 setup? I am trying to figure out if I will need just a gauge to install in the dash, or will I need a sending unit as well? I have been searching the forums for a wiring color diagram to know what will be needed, but the closest I could find was people replacing factory trim gauges, not adding a new one all together.

any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Captain JC
-2012 Bayliner 175

New 2012 175BR owner here 04 Jun 2012 23:49 #2

• fishinguy
I have an 2004 175 3.0 BR and i have all the gauges you say they left out. If you could post pictures of your dash, sterndrive and about 3 pictures of your engine (left, front and right) I think I can help you with any of your questions. Also I will try to post the same for my boat so you can compare with.

New 2012 175BR owner here 05 Jun 2012 00:17 #3

• Scrimmer
Your dilemma is on reason I am glad I bought my 2011. The gauge cluster is nice to have, my owner's manual has a half decent wiring diagram, and if you had posted this a week ago, I would have offered my trim gauge to sell you, as I was thinking on placing my depth finder in it's place (instead, I drilled an awful hole in the dash beside the steering wheel).

I believe the engine is only slightly modified over the 2011, therefore, should have the sending unit installed. May even have most of the wiring connected, just tucked up under the dash.

Did your dealer say anything about the wiring or sending unit?

2011 175 Bowrider
135 hp 3.0 Merc Alpha 1

New 2012 175BR owner here 05 Jun 2012 00:42 #4

• kjs
  • Thank you received: 373
to save space you may look into the 4 in 1 gauges. They have fuel, temp, oil, volt in one instrument. Check http://greatlakesskipper.com/category-1/56_84-boat-gauges-multi-function.html whether they have one matching your style. If not you have to resort to the new-new stuff like Faria gauges (I think Bayliner still uses them).

To be honest, I barely check my trim gauge. It all goes by feeling......

Oh, and welcome on board!!!

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library

New 2012 175BR owner here 05 Jun 2012 01:55 #5

• mdldgl
This might be a drop in replacement for your tach, only it has trim/temp, looks to match factory installed speedo with volt/fuel. I am surprised Bayliner does not offer it as a dealer installed option.

http://greatlakesskipper.com/product/56_84-boat-gauges-multi-function/16580-tg-faria-faria-gtc027a-over-sized-multi-function-tachometer-boat-gauge-w-water-and-trim-indicators.html

http://www.bayliner.com/page.aspx/pageid/132731/pmid/276173/175-Bowrider.aspx#multimedia

Like others mentioned, while driving I don't use my trim gauge very much... but it is nice to have to remind you where the lower unit is when trailering , coming off of the lift or going through shallow water.

Mike @Lake Marie, Antioch, IL
2010 Bayliner 235
5.0 MPI/Alpha
21" High Five SS prop

New 2012 175BR owner here 05 Jun 2012 02:15 #6

• mullhaupt
I have the 2011 also, I think the most important gauges are the water temp,oil pressure, battery voltage. I do like the trim but according to most people and myself you can watch the spray off the side of your boat it will move to the rear of the boat when your trimmed properly, I just use the trim gauge at launch and I guess when I go into shallow waters I got a cheap john dere hour meter for like 15 bucks and stuck it under the dash with a bracket and using a existing nut under the left side of the dash. No need to see that all the time, Just peek every once in awhile. What I like about the 2012 is the swim deck and I heard its quieter, But it is heavier and slower to get on plane by a smidge Im sure you will love it but If your like me you will get 2 foot ides Next season. I went to the boat show and that was bad, not for me but thats what the admiral said, 20 footer in the future I hope

2011 175br 3.0l [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

New 2012 175BR owner here 05 Jun 2012 02:21 #7

• kjs
  • Thank you received: 373
yikes, they really went minimalist with the helm on the 2012 model compared to my 1996 which even has a factory depth sounder. And the location of the shifter/throttle is weird too. My shoulder might hurt after a day of boating being as high as it is.
Looks like they remained consistent with the height (or lack of) of the seat. Still 2 throwables required to see some water.

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library

New 2012 175BR owner here 05 Jun 2012 13:27 #8

• JeffBowser
I have to agree with the minimalist comment on the 2012s. Before I even took mine home I made them install an hour meter and my chartplotter. Strikes me as odd that on an engine that requires servicing at certain hour marks, they don't give you any way to readily check your hours.

Check your bilge pump, too - the manual states it is an automatic bilge with an overide switch. On the 180OB at least, this is patently false. It's full manual, no float switch whatsoever.

kjs;692176 wrote: yikes, they really went minimalist with the helm on the 2012 model compared to my 1996 which even has a factory depth sounder. And the location of the shifter/throttle is weird too. My shoulder might hurt after a day of boating being as high as it is.
Looks like they remained consistent with the height (or lack of) of the seat. Still 2 throwables required to see some water.

2012 180 OB w/90hp Mercury 4 stroke
MMSI - 338133839

New 2012 175BR owner here 05 Jun 2012 15:03 #9

• JWebber
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 8
This is one thing that really got to me with the newer 175's the price of the boat goes up and they take away important elements. They should of left the guages in and added more like hour meter or a combo with fuel meter etc...

2008 Bayliner 175 BR, 135hp 3.0 Mer. Alpha I Gen. II 2.0 Drive

New 2012 175BR owner here 05 Jun 2012 15:16 #10

• JeffBowser
I looked into the Mercury smart gauge for mine - it was in excess of $1500 for the gauge alone :livid: That's why I just had them install a basic hour meter. Man, what a price!

JWebber;692312 wrote: This is one thing that really got to me with the newer 175's the price of the boat goes up and they take away important elements. They should of left the guages in and added more like hour meter or a combo with fuel meter etc...

2012 180 OB w/90hp Mercury 4 stroke
MMSI - 338133839

New 2012 175BR owner here 05 Jun 2012 16:56 #11

• nit_lion
Welcome to the site. There are several models that use the 3.0L engine, so you should find good info hear as well as general boating stuff. It has helped me loads. Enjoy the boat.

2008 Discovery 192 Cuddy 3.0l
2010 Chevy Tahoe
Pennsylvania

New 2012 175BR owner here 05 Jun 2012 17:28 #12

• CaptainJC
Wow, I didn't realize I had all of these replies already!

I have been lurking on the forum for a little while now, which helped me decide on the 175 (I would have loved to go bigger, but the Admiral's requirement was that as our first boat, it had to fit in our garage with a foot path to get by). Needless to say, I made it fit ;)

I picked up a sears hour meter yesterday after seeing it on one of the threads. figure I will install it near motor or near power kill switch under the rear seat. I don't need to see it on the water, just for overall tracking/maintenance since this will be a trailer queen.

I do think the Kronos line of gauges by Faria are the matching ones for the new 175's, so once I decide what gauges and how to mount, those will make the most sense (or one of the 4 in 1's, I will need to look into them further).

I also had the idea of installing gauges above the factory ones in automotive "gauge cups":
http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-2121-Carbon-Mounting/dp/B00063063C
(you can go black/carbon/chrome/etc) just not sure how they will stand up to marine use

I did confirm last night that the motors have the two sensors installed for the trim gauge (limiter/sending unit) one per side, so for that I am just looking for the correct wiring. I have a feeling they are ran into the engine compartment and bundled up over the motor. I need to break the bundle apart and trace them. I will be sure to post up the details if/when I figure out what they are for others to use down the road.

I am shocked that they not only killed the gauges, but didn't even bother with idiot lights, all you get is a beeping alarm to tell you "something" is wrong... Water temp/oil pressure should be a minimum...

Other than the feeling of flying blind, the family is loving the boat so far! Oh, and thanks again for the Warm welcome!

Captain JC
-2012 Bayliner 175

New 2012 175BR owner here 06 Jun 2012 15:20 #13

• JWebber
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 8

JeffBowser;692318 wrote: I looked into the Mercury smart gauge for mine - it was in excess of $1500 for the gauge alone :livid: That's why I just had them install a basic hour meter. Man, what a price!

I know crazy! I went with the same basic hour meter as well.

2008 Bayliner 175 BR, 135hp 3.0 Mer. Alpha I Gen. II 2.0 Drive

New 2012 175BR owner here 28 Jun 2012 02:09 #14

• huggytree
i have a 2011 and when i saw the changes for 2012 i was upset i didnt wait for 2012

my kids always bunch up at the rear platform....2012 gets that huge platform...problem would be solved.....also i like the stairs on the engine cover...right now we all walk on the seats...and white seats dont look good for long when your walking on them all day 2-3x a week

i dont get the lack of gauges on the 2012's though....i use the trim one every second...i need to know where im at....i guess you'd get used to being w/o it , but i wouldnt like it....i check the temp gauge once in a while too....

i will gladly swap boats with you if you'd like? im here in WI and my boat has been pampered and has all the gauges and a depth finder....ill take your platform

ps....check all your cup holders....the back ones both flew out...they are not siliconed well.....also trim around the middle of the windshield...i siliconed a edge piece back in today....the Mexicans are skimpy with the Silicone i guess...

New 2012 175BR owner here 28 Jun 2012 02:36 #15

• Macca
  • Thank you received: 1
I went with a dirt bike hour meter, very simple self contained unit with a 10 year battery life, you just wrap the pick up wire around one of the spark plug leads and away you go. It only records running hours which is great.
[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/699115=29179-Hour meter.jpg I have seen trim lights, these are just a series of LED light sitting on top of each other, a bit like a battery meter. these tell you where the trim is. This could be an option for you rather than a guage.I agree with others, i need to know where the leg is sitting, doing this by feel could start costing you a few $ and props.

Tony.
Christchurch, New Zealand.
"Thirsty Merc"
2006 185BR Capri
190hp V6
Alpha 1 Gen 2
SX Smart Tabs 60Lb

New 2012 175BR owner here 28 Jun 2012 12:19 #16

• CaptainJC
I am running the basic hour meter from sears lawn/garden, works great, simple/easy.

I will need to look into the trim lights/led's, that sounds like a good option.

As of now I haven't decided anything on the gauge's, I added a fish finder primarily for the depth sounder, so that's taken care of.

Captain JC
-2012 Bayliner 175

New 2012 175BR owner here 17 Jul 2012 20:56 #17

• KS FISHERMAN
I own a 2012 175 BR and am looking to make some upgrades. On my to do list are fish finder/depth finder, trolling motor, hour meter, and am planning on building a carpeted deck that I can drop in the bow. On the platform I will have a pedestal seat and foot control for the trolling motor. Additionally, I want to find a nice secure location on the rear of the boat to mount a pedestal seat that can be easily removed for tubing, etc.

I have the stock boat with swim platform and a white bimini top.

This is a great site and I have already gotten quite a few ideas as far as how to do my upgrades.

• Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds