Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Drain question.....

Drain question..... 06 Jun 2012 17:19 #26

• nit_lion
  • Thank you received: 0

kjs;692594 wrote: that's why I drilled a hole through the square head of the drain plug. Once it's out it gets attached to the ignition key. It's really easy to see before you go to far into the water.....

I almost drowned my last boat and barely made it back onto the trailer... Running fwd full speed helped the bilge pump a lot. After that I had a second one with twice the capacity...
It's like it was mentioned in another thread about rocks:
- you WILL hit a rock, it's just a matter of when
- you WILL forget the drain plug, it's just a matter of when
- you WILL forget to bring the outdrive or OB up into trailering position, it's just a matter of when

I had all three with the last one twice (OB in previous boat, outdrive in current one 2 weeks ago)

Left the plug out last week. Thanks to an alert son (1st mate), the boat did not sink, but was hanging about 6-inches lower. I did discover that the bilge works, but man I felt like a novice all over again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2008 Discovery 192 Cuddy 3.0l
2010 Chevy Tahoe
Pennsylvania

Drain question..... 07 Jun 2012 04:49 #27

• Macca
  • Thank you received: 1

kjs;692594 wrote: that's why I drilled a hole through the square head of the drain plug. Once it's out it gets attached to the ignition key. It's really easy to see before you go to far into the water.....

I almost drowned my last boat and barely made it back onto the trailer... Running fwd full speed helped the bilge pump a lot. After that I had a second one with twice the capacity...
It's like it was mentioned in another thread about rocks:
- you WILL hit a rock, it's just a matter of when
- you WILL forget to bring the outdrive or OB up into trailering position, it's just a matter of when

I had all three with the last one twice (OB in previous boat, outdrive in current one 2 weeks ago)

I Like this. I have managed to do 1 & 3 in the same instance, was reversing back to pick up a mate after launching, had been several weeks since I last used the boat and while reversing back towards the shore I thougtht I was lifing the leg.... Turns out i wasn't ...Bugger! That was one prop.

Running stainless now so little mishaps don't cost so much.

Tony.
Christchurch, New Zealand.
"Thirsty Merc"
2006 185BR Capri
190hp V6
Alpha 1 Gen 2
SX Smart Tabs 60Lb

Drain question..... 07 Jun 2012 05:32 #28

• kjs
  • Thank you received: 373

Macca;692962 wrote: Running stainless now so little mishaps don't cost so much.

Yeah, but if you hit a bit harder it will be a lot more costly! With SS you usually take a chunk of the lower unit out too.

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library

Drain question..... 13 Jun 2012 00:12 #29

• 08175N8

newboat;690555 wrote: The dealer told me to hand tighten the drain plug so it may not be as tight as should be. Should I gently use a wrench? Around where I boat, the ICW in North Carolina, I always see boats leaving the ramps with water draining from the drain hole. Lots of outboards.

I have to say my 23' cc and my 08 175 I/O always have a cup or two, sometimes more depending on activities...

I am in NC also, I hang out on the ICW near camp lejeune

2008 Bayliner 175 / 3.0L Mercruiser
1997 235 Sunbird CC / 225 Johnson OP

Drain question..... 13 Jun 2012 02:10 #30

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
I get a bit..less than a cup when I pull the plug...the bilge access hatch is dead center in front of the motor. When I back off the throttle water does come into the engine well, I suspect the o ring needs to be replaced on the access hatch.

Drain question..... 14 Jun 2012 12:14 #31

• newboat
  • Thank you received: 3
Took my new Bayliner 170 back to the dealer since he too was concerned about the amount of water coming out of the bilge after an outing. He and a mechanic took it for a ride and discovered that the round bilge hatch in the splash well was leaking. They are getting it squared away. Glad I have a good dealer!

2012 Bayliner 170 O/B
2011 Honda Pilot 4WD
Peletier, NC

Drain question..... 14 Jun 2012 14:41 #32

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
How do you like your 170, is it set up for FISHIN,what motor do you have,hows does it perform,pictures?

Drain question..... 14 Jun 2012 14:56 #33

• newboat
I have the 170 OB with a 90 hp 4 stroke. I don't have the tower or the fishing package. I do have the ski pylon and radio and a chartplotter. It comes on a single axle trailer and is a breeze to tow. Putting it in and out of the water is easy. Any mistakes I have made have been operator error - learning as we go. I don't have any pics yet. Where I boat on the ICW near Emerald Isle, NC the water can be shallow, thus the desire to have an outboard that is easier to clean after a ride- salty, sandy water. Needless to say, I have already knocked paint off the propeller. It's a speedy little boat and fits my needs perfectly.

2012 Bayliner 170 O/B
2011 Honda Pilot 4WD
Peletier, NC

Drain question..... 14 Jun 2012 15:08 #34

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Sounds nice!, as I mentioned before my 1802 leaks at the same access hatch,I need a new O ring!....ANOTHER MUST DO!

Drain question..... 14 Jun 2012 17:15 #35

• kjs

newboat;695261 wrote: Needless to say, I have already knocked paint off the propeller. It's a speedy little boat and fits my needs perfectly.

You haven't done a complete job yet! The tip of the skeg has to be torn off too.......

Jürgen

Jürgen's boating library

Drain question..... 14 Jun 2012 19:27 #36

• newboat
Now that you mention it....I roughed up the skeg pretty good the second time out but I've hit so much sand since then it has smoothed out pretty nicely!

2012 Bayliner 170 O/B
2011 Honda Pilot 4WD
Peletier, NC

Drain question..... 14 Jun 2012 22:29 #37

• kjs
welcome to the club! Shows that you are a real boater!
Next steps are to run it aground, hit a rock, forget the drain plug, chip out some gelcoat with the dock, forget to raise the outdrive/OB when pulling out the boat. Sequence is up to your personal preference and Murphy. Oh, forgot because it's still on my list: drop the ignition key into the drink.

Jürgen

Jürgen's boating library

Drain question..... 15 Jun 2012 14:02 #38

• newboat
So much to look forward to!

2012 Bayliner 170 O/B
2011 Honda Pilot 4WD
Peletier, NC

Drain question..... 20 Jun 2012 14:22 #39

• JeffBowser
They have removed that access port in the 2012 models. Now I think I can see why.

newboat;695209 wrote: Took my new Bayliner 170 back to the dealer since he too was concerned about the amount of water coming out of the bilge after an outing. He and a mechanic took it for a ride and discovered that the round bilge hatch in the splash well was leaking. They are getting it squared away. Glad I have a good dealer!

2012 180 OB w/90hp Mercury 4 stroke
MMSI - 338133839

Drain question..... 21 Jun 2012 12:19 #40

• newboat
Curious. I have a 2012 170 OB with the 90 horse 4 stroke and my boat has the round bilge access hatch in the splash well.

2012 Bayliner 170 O/B
2011 Honda Pilot 4WD
Peletier, NC

Drain question..... 21 Jun 2012 13:02 #41

• JeffBowser
No kidding. Maybe it was a mid-run adjustment. Know when yours was built?

newboat;697288 wrote: Curious. I have a 2012 170 OB with the 90 horse 4 stroke and my boat has the round bilge access hatch in the splash well.

MMSI - 338133839

Drain question..... 21 Jun 2012 18:43 #42

• newboat
I bought the boat and took delivery in March 2012. The dealer had just ordered them. Where would I see that info on the boat? I know where to look on a car.

2012 Bayliner 170 O/B
2011 Honda Pilot 4WD
Peletier, NC

Drain question..... 21 Jun 2012 19:48 #43

• Robert K
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 25

kjs;692594 wrote: - you WILL hit a rock, it's just a matter of when
- you WILL forget to bring the outdrive or OB up into trailering position, it's just a matter of whe

Are you following me?:D

Launched the boat and went to park the trailer. My wife starts the motor. I come back and she's asking me "Is water suppose to come up from there?" DRIAN PLUG!!!

Luckily enough my boat sits high enough on the trailer where we launch - but sure enough, the outdrive was left in the down position AFTER I had already pulled away and into the parking lot to attach the straps, etc. etc.

And hit a rock? How about nearly beached the boat... Water level on the lake was extremely lower than it had been the past 5 seasons - and just for a split moment the drivers attention was not forward.

"Navigator's Son"
2005 265 5.7 Merc Bravo 3 Duo Prop - Sold :(
Snohomish, WA
New boat 2017 R25SC

Drain question..... 22 Jun 2012 12:01 #44

• JeffBowser
I'm not really sure. I took delivery of mine in May from dealer stock. I do know the owners supplement on mine shows I should have that access port, but discussions with a Bayliner factory rep says the guide is outdated.

newboat;697370 wrote: I bought the boat and took delivery in March 2012. The dealer had just ordered them. Where would I see that info on the boat? I know where to look on a car.

MMSI - 338133839

Drain question..... 25 Jun 2012 00:08 #45

• BaylinerEddy
  • BaylinerEddy's Avatar Topic Author
On our outing this weekend, Theres was dew, A LOT, on the boat when i was up at sunrise to get a fire going and start the day (Boat Camping). That and climbing in and out of the boat the whole weekend is adding up to what i was seeing. When i pulled the boat from the lake today, A little came out. My other half happened to be following me this time, and said when i went up a high grade she saw water coming out of the drain. When we got home and parked the boat, i put the boat on a high angle because i saw just a little in the ski locker and the higher angle drained more. So all this time i was not getting all of it out and it would just add to the little bit that was already there making it look like alot was in there. Vacation next week, 4 days at Big Bear Lake!!!!

Keep ya posted........

Eddy

2006 Bayliner 205BR Olympic Edition 5.0MPI

Drain question..... 25 Jun 2012 04:47 #46

• Macca
  • Thank you received: 1

BaylinerEddy;698136 wrote: On our outing this weekend, Theres was dew, A LOT, on the boat when i was up at sunrise to get a fire going and start the day (Boat Camping). That and climbing in and out of the boat the whole weekend is adding up to what i was seeing. When i pulled the boat from the lake today, A little came out. My other half happened to be following me this time, and said when i went up a high grade she saw water coming out of the drain. When we got home and parked the boat, i put the boat on a high angle because i saw just a little in the ski locker and the higher angle drained more. So all this time i was not getting all of it out and it would just add to the little bit that was already there making it look like alot was in there. Vacation next week, 4 days at Big Bear Lake!!!!

Keep ya posted........

Eddy

You may want to check you drains between the locker and the bilge, sometimes they get blocked with leaves etc and could be adding to the draining problem. I always get some water coming out but only the water I and the family take in with us when climbing in and out etc. We don't have docks where we go so getting wet is part of boating....

The other thought is make sure your covers come off on nice days, this helps dry the boat out, if you leave the covers on you just end up moving all the moisture into the carpets or anything else that will soak it up once it evaporates.

I have seen these cool solor vents that keep fresh air in side your boat, you can get them to sit on your cover pole. Fantastic idea....

Tony.
Christchurch, New Zealand.
"Thirsty Merc"
2006 185BR Capri
190hp V6
Alpha 1 Gen 2
SX Smart Tabs 60Lb

Drain question..... 25 Jun 2012 12:41 #47

• newboat
Went to my Bayliner dealer and looked at a 160 OB and a 180 OB. They both do not have the bilge drain in the splash well. I looked at my boat VIN and it looks like it was born in Feb of 2012. Pretty boats!

2012 Bayliner 170 O/B
2011 Honda Pilot 4WD
Peletier, NC
  • Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds