Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: aargh! great day spoiled while trailering

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 28 May 2012 14:45 #1

• Johnny Bravo
  • Johnny Bravo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Well I know I am not the first to do this, but that doesn't make me feel much better. First splash with my new 185BR, had the family and a couple of friends aboard, had a great day on the Saint John River, saw a number of eagles and other wildlife, and enjoyed the sun, and an onboard lunch. At the end of our trip had no trouble getting the boat aboard the trailer, brought her in to within 8 inches of the pin, then had her winched up by a friend, who then proceeded to pull the trailer from the launch site.Then came the ominous scraping sound. Yes, I forgot to raise the outdrive. Knew it as soon as I heard the sound of it striking the concrete at the top of the ramp. Ruined the rest of my day.I know, I know, pics or it didn't happen. Here you are, revel in my idiocy!Looks like a Skegguard might be in my near future. I don't see any more damage, hopefully there isn't any. :sorrow:Can't wait until the end of the week when "Mollie Kay" will have a home at the dock, rather than on the trailer.JB.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

“Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.”
David Lee Roth
2011 Bayliner Bowrider 185
Sport seating, swim platform extension
5-piece camper enclosure
Mercruiser 3.0, Alpha-1

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 28 May 2012 15:16 #2

• TDitzel
I feel your pain. Did that my last time out last season.

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 28 May 2012 15:26 #3

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
File off the edges and leave it alone, won't hurt handling one tad.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 28 May 2012 15:51 #4

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 253
With the damage being so far down the skeg, you could have an aluminium weld repair done without removing the outdrive. You could also just clean up the edges with a file and leave it as is (which would be my choice).

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 28 May 2012 16:04 #5

• Bcbayliner
My 185br has a small ding in it. And I mean small. No actual chunks of steel missing like yours. Like the poster above says ^^^^^^. Small weld or file her down.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Let's do this

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 28 May 2012 16:22 #6

• MikeRoss
You still had a great day on your new boat.

A million things happen to everybody on their boats, it's not even worth thinking about. If you don't want anything to happen, you have to keep it in your driveway.

You won't believe how great it's going to be when you have that boat at the dock full time. You'll find yourself going down there at odd hours for no particular reason.

Mike Ross & the spirited tigress Jamie Lee
1990 2755 Ciera
Sacramento Delta

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 28 May 2012 16:32 #7

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
I would just file it down, and see how it handles(does not look like that much is missing),if you wanted to do a FULL BLOWN repair,you could wait until the end of the season.

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 28 May 2012 17:53 #8

• Papa Charlie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 165
Don't stress over it. Just file it so that the angle looks like it should be there, and throw some black paint on it. You will forget about it soon enough but never forget to raise it and no one except for us will know about it. I wouldn't worry about us either as we will fixate on the next thread and this will self destruct in our heads in about 10 seconds.

One other thing, go boating, anchor in some nice cove and pop a beer and forget about it.

Patrick and Patti
4588 Pilothouse 1991
12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
M/V "Paloma"
MMSI # 338142921

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 28 May 2012 18:26 #9

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
Paint it black and tell everyone it's custom work, makes the boat go faster...:arr

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 28 May 2012 18:35 #10

• jamie mac
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13

Chief Alen;689364 wrote: File off the edges and leave it alone, won't hurt handling one tad.

+1

[/U]
BYEBYEBLUE 2011 DISCOVERY 266 350 MAG B3
BEACHPOINT,PEI,CANADA
PREVIOUS BAYLINERS
1997 BAYLINER 175 3.0 L
1996 BAYLINER 1952 3.0L
2009 BAYLINER DISCOVERY 4.3L
2006 MAINSHIP RUMRUNNER

I AM THE CAPTAIN AS LONG AS MY WIFE GIVES ME PERMISSION

JAMIE AND LIZ MAC KINNON
http://cdnbaylinerownersclub.com/

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 28 May 2012 20:07 #11

• gener8s
  • Thank you received: 1

jeffw;689405 wrote: paint it black and tell everyone it's custom work, makes the boat go faster...:arr

+1
;)

2004 185, 3.0 L Alplha 1 Gen 2, SX Smart tabs (40 lb), Pioneer HU :cool:

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 28 May 2012 21:41 #12

• Danny
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 18
One positive to come out of your mishap.... I bet you don't do it again:D

Danny.
Gold Coast, Australia.
2002 195 Sports V6
Alpha 1 Gen 2
High five 21" s/s prop

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 28 May 2012 23:22 #13

• LazyCrusr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Ahh, ya bonehead! :)
EVERYBODY does that! :D
Much ado about nuthin'

Just bustin' ya with the bonehead comment,,,,,all in fun. :)

Boating is the Life !!
~ Sarah ~

'2006 Bayliner 195 Classic Bowider/COLOR]
Unnamed!
Alpha Drive 3.0 Merc 135 HP

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 29 May 2012 00:40 #14

• Johnny Bravo
Thanks everyone, i feel much better. I knew posting my misadventure here would help perk me up. You guys are the best! Except for Lazycrusr, she's just mean. Just kidding! I know you have had some rough moments over the last few months with your rig too. Everything looks better in the rear view mirror, just got to get over the initial shock.

On the upside, it got me thinking about protections for my boat. Off to the shop tomorrow for a keel guard, methinks.

Cheers everybody, and thanks for the pick-me-up.

JB

“Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.”
David Lee Roth
5-piece camper enclosure
Mercruiser 3.0, Alpha-1

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 29 May 2012 00:57 #15

• Mocoondo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 9
I'll admit, I too used to be a frequent member of the "failed to trailer the drive" club. After leaving several nice scrapes on the ramp, I finally got smart and adjusted the bunks on my trailer so that the boat sits higher. That way, even if I forget to trailer the drive, it won't drag on the ramp. Of course, once I adjusted the trailer bunks, I never forgot to raise the drive again. Go figure.

I'd personally take the boat to a welding shop and have the skeg fixed. That is a simple repair that can be done without removing the lower and you'll never even know it happened. I would avoid installing a Skeggard.

Mocoondo
2002 Bayliner 195 Capri "Sport"
Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
MMSI: 338091755

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 29 May 2012 01:42 #16

• MikeRoss
The best times are yet to come JB.

Wait until you get everybody loaded, have a perfect launch in front of the annoying crowd that always seems to appear at the ramp when it's your turn, engine starts fine, gears shift perfectly and you head out. After about ten minutes of congratulating yourself, you notice a little threaded brass plug sitting on the dash in front of you.

Mike Ross & the spirited tigress Jamie Lee
1990 2755 Ciera
Sacramento Delta

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 29 May 2012 01:48 #17

• Skygazer
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Don't feel bad, everyone has "oopsied"! Some more than others...

We finished up our playing on the water early this afternoon and had lunch. Then we headed over to watch "Launch Ramp Follies". There was a wicked wind and there is a particularly strong current near this ramp. In the course of a couple hours we saw:

3 folks who forget to trim up their outdrives
1 forgotten drain plug
At least 7 or 8 peeps that had no lines at all
Numerous folks who could not back up a trailer
1 guy fell in when he was showing off
The ever popular assclowns yelling at their wives
Snotty wives who didn't lift a finger to help
3 boatloads that had a dog with them that didn't think to let the dog relieve themselves while 3 other people loaded the boat in the trailer.

Something was really in the air today, it had to be the holiday and too much beer. Your couldn't help them or feel sorry for them because they were know it alls. The saving grace was that the DNR was there and handed out a few tickets to the worst of the lot.

I'm a bad girl because I was completely entertained.

Peggy
Husband Chuck and Badger the Border Collie
2006 Bayliner 185 4.3 Alpha One "Jackpot"

2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO PWC 160hp "Yamagogo"
In memory of "Seapuppy". :arr. Live each Day to the Fullest

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 29 May 2012 01:50 #18

• Scrimmer
Ah, thank goodness for this site, makes me feel a bit better! JB, not making fun of you, as a matter of fact, I will be in Fredericton in August and would be willing to swap misadventures with you over a pop, depending on where you are located on the St John! So, my skeg is quite a bit worse off than yours, first, had a few chips from hitting a sand bar last year, but last weekend, was out with the family, following on my iPhone's Navionics, it showed us just inside a 32+ foot contour (I now know why it's "not for navigational purposes"), when we heard a loud grind and bang! I brought the drive up, turned toward deep water, then high tailed it to the ramp. Looked at the skeg and prop, huge chunks taken out of the skeg! Wife said it didn't look too bad, but I was peeved, at myself for getting into that situation. I did a search on this forum, found out that lots of peeps have done the same or worse, so I feel a lot better, as you do too. Want to know something even funnier? When I got home the other day, my wife came out looking like I ran over one of our kids, she says "I don't know what the kids did, but they are afraid of you being mad!". I looked at the boat parked in the driveway (I let my boys play in the boat), and the outdrive was completely down, digging into our gravel driveway! I didn't even get mad, actually made my chunks seem "smoother"!

Thanks for posting JB, sorry for highjacking a bit and being long winded, love this site!

2011 175 Bowrider
135 hp 3.0 Merc Alpha 1

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 29 May 2012 01:59 #19

• Skygazer
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3

MikeRoss;689536 wrote: The best times are yet to come JB.

Wait until you get everybody loaded, have a perfect launch in front of the annoying crowd that always seems to appear at the ramp when it's your turn, engine starts fine, gears shift perfectly and you head out. After about ten minutes of congratulating yourself, you notice a little threaded brass plug sitting on the dash in front of you.

I never mind the crowd at a launch ramp and I love to watch there myself. It feels great when you make quick work of launching or retrieving. I love it because even in this day in age people are shocked that a woman knows what to do.

I also like watching folks because most times if someone has a problem you might be able to help. We were all new to this at one one time or another. I have no sympathy for the drunken know it alls that always find their way out on the water on holidays.

Sorry for the hijack :)

Peggy
Husband Chuck and Badger the Border Collie
2006 Bayliner 185 4.3 Alpha One "Jackpot"

2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO PWC 160hp "Yamagogo"
In memory of "Seapuppy". :arr. Live each Day to the Fullest

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 29 May 2012 19:08 #20

• dtwilson
  • Thank you received: 2
I've forgotten to lift the leg a couple times over the last few seasons - fortunately no big harm.

In fact just this weekend past, I forgot to unhook the transom tie-down straps before attempting to launch. Took me a good 5 mins of heaving at the bow before I realised what I'd done. The heaving destroyed the strap buckles so I ended up cutting them off. I wasn't too worried as I keep spares in my trunk.

I have a saying - "**** happens, just let it slide" :D

1997 2052 Capri LS Cuddy (Special Edition)
Mercruiser 4.3 LX Gen+
Mercruiser Alpha One
Photos
Lough Erne, Ireland
Lough Neagh, Ireland

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 29 May 2012 19:33 #21

• kjs
  • Thank you received: 373
if you still have the factory skeg you don't boat enough....... Got mine already prepared (broken off) so I don't have to worry about it any more. This doesn't mean that I haven't forgotten it too but it just doesn't show any more.........

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 30 May 2012 01:56 #22

• Johnny Bravo
Hey Scrimmer, i would be more than willing to swap misadventures if you are in the Fredericton area, and enjoy a wobbly-pop or two! Drop me a line when you have details on dates and times and we'll see what we can arrange. My boat wil be docked at Oromocto at that time, perhaps we can meet there.

Cheers,

JB

Scrimmer;689541 wrote: Ah, thank goodness for this site, makes me feel a bit better! JB, not making fun of you, as a matter of fact, I will be in Fredericton in August and would be willing to swap misadventures with you over a pop, depending on where you are located on the St John! So, my skeg is quite a bit worse off than yours, first, had a few chips from hitting a sand bar last year, but last weekend, was out with the family, following on my iPhone's Navionics, it showed us just inside a 32+ foot contour (I now know why it's "not for navigational purposes"), when we heard a loud grind and bang! I brought the drive up, turned toward deep water, then high tailed it to the ramp. Looked at the skeg and prop, huge chunks taken out of the skeg! Wife said it didn't look too bad, but I was peeved, at myself for getting into that situation. I did a search on this forum, found out that lots of peeps have done the same or worse, so I feel a lot better, as you do too. Want to know something even funnier? When I got home the other day, my wife came out looking like I ran over one of our kids, she says "I don't know what the kids did, but they are afraid of you being mad!". I looked at the boat parked in the driveway (I let my boys play in the boat), and the outdrive was completely down, digging into our gravel driveway! I didn't even get mad, actually made my chunks seem "smoother"!

Thanks for posting JB, sorry for highjacking a bit and being long winded, love this site!

David Lee Roth
5-piece camper enclosure
Mercruiser 3.0, Alpha-1

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 30 May 2012 02:57 #23

• Scotti
Wow, very sorry to see that, at least the day up to that point was really nice. I had a day like that once, when the girls the dog and myself were much younger, we went out on the boat and had an absolutely beautiful day. When I hopped out of the boat at the ramp to stage, I slipped on the algae, and knock myself out cold!!! BUT THE BOAT WAS OK...

Scotti

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 30 May 2012 04:52 #24

• CapriSS2050
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
That makes the day more memorable....I did same thing...my bud hauled *** up the ramp...i didn't forget to raise, just never got the chance before Mario andretti took off....throwing my fat *** into the back seat like a turtle...while my skeg was throwing sparks.

I think my plow mark is still on the ramp from four years ago...I learned my lesson from that....got skeg fixed and lived happily ever after.....until next trip when i backed into rocks and trashed prop and skeg again.

aargh! great day spoiled while trailering 30 May 2012 14:50 #25

• maxximus
  • Thank you received: 1

Mocoondo;689526 wrote: I would avoid installing a Skeggard.

saw this and wondering if there's a performance dropoff, etc in getting a skeggard? I had thought about getting one just to protect it. Was initially looking at a RiverRunner/Propsaver, but didn't want to lose what is surely a more significant level of performance by using one of those. Installing a skeggard would seem harmless, no?

2007 Bayliner 175BR 3.0L Alpha I Gen. II 2.0 Drive
  • Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.453 seconds