Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bayliner F16 review.

Bayliner F16 review. 12 Aug 2016 22:45 #1

• tito123tito
  • tito123tito's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi All,

Finally got my bayliner F16. tried it for 4 times now (did around 10 hours on the engine.).
My setup is: Bayliner F16, Mercury 60 HP big foot, Bimini top, front and back live well ---> from bayliner and I asked my dealer to install minn kota SP70 (not fan of motor guide, default of F16 is 1 battery place for the trolling motor, but since SP70 is 24V, my dealer installed the other battery for me) and Lowrance Elite 5Ti.

Previously I had Gheenoe and Carolina skiff JV17CC and I went with buddies with hydra sports, key west and Nautic star. so I believe I have average experience in boating.
overall I like the boat. It has good and bad stuff ( like anything in our life) but overall I am happy so far. The boat feels much bigger than 16 foot. handling waves is not the best with F16 but much better than my Carolina skiff for sure. one thing I would recommend is to install smart tabs. they are a must with this boat.

with 60 hp bigfoot mercury and default propeller, I was able to get 29 mph (no smart tabs, with smart tabs its more stable and handle waves better but it will slower the boat with 1 or 2 mph). I believe this boat needs at least 75hp but it was too expensive for me to add that option (around $2000 extra)

internal space and storage is really good. if I have to change anything in the design is to lower the leaning post to be able to set on it while driving (I am a fan of leaning post but that one is kinda too high and you can't set on it). Also I would shorten the lenght of the console and the back fishing platform to be able to leave a space in the boat for the cooler but anyways, you can't get everything you need

the space between the leaning post and the center console is perfect. no need to change anything in that.

one good thing I really like this boat is that its 'almost' completely wood free, the only (minimal) wood is in the transom plate and partitioning of the front storage. Gone are the wood stringers, wood bulkheads. I believe they will move element and element XL to be wood free too very soon.

What I like about this boat:
1 - price. compared to the market, they are priced lower than other vendors.
2 - quality. if you are expecting to get a high end quality, this boat is not for you. but for what I paid, it is a good quality.
3 - internal space and storage. even better than high end boats.
4 - the Bimini top height is really good. I am 5'11'' and I have no problem to walk under it.
5 - very easy to launch it and load it from the trailer.

What I don't like and I would change it:
1 - front storage separators are wood. come on guys, you removed all the wood in this boat except that part and the transom?! I would understand the transom for the cost, but that small pieces that separate the front storage will cost you only extra $20 to $30 to do it.
2 - no water drain for the front storage, I bought this water vacuum " www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003M2F7NI/ref...04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 " with $35 and it works great for me. but if bayliner can add a drainer in the middle of the front storage to the transom , that will be great.
3 - the 2 live well are on the same switch, why bayliner? specially in such a small boat, people most probably will use one of the live well as a cooler. I like the fact that in 2017 models you added separate live well engine (not one for both as in 2016 models) just make it great with 2 switches. I asked my dealer to install a switch for me.
4 - the gauges are very cheaply made and I don't expect them to last longtime.
5 - the gas tank tubes needs to be much wider. every time I try to put gas, the hand pump stop because the tube got filled. I have to wait 1 sec for the tube to drain the gas to the tank and fill again.
6 - anchor lock in the front storage needs to have a hole for the line of the anchor.

Thats my review after only 4 times :) I will update you if anything new. overall again, I am happy and if time goes back , I will buy it again. if they can fix what I mentioned above, that will be so great.

let me know if you have any question :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by tito123tito.

Bayliner F16 review. 12 Aug 2016 22:52 #2

• tito123tito
edited

Bayliner F16 review. 16 Aug 2016 13:56 #3

• TigerBoat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 34
Thanks for that review. Seems like a really cool rig!

Does the bimini get in the way while fishing, or do you leave it at home for fishing trips?

2016 75hp Element 160 w/ Smart Tabs & Sponson Drains

Bayliner F16 review. 16 Aug 2016 14:15 #4

• RobMick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 122
Hey that is a great review especially with the supporting pics. I am not a fisherman, yet, but I understand all the pro's and con's that you have described.

Well done and thanks for sharing

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Bayliner F16 review. 16 Aug 2016 22:17 #5

• tito123tito

TigerBoat wrote: Thanks for that review. Seems like a really cool rig!

Does the bimini get in the way while fishing, or do you leave it at home for fishing trips?

Its actually better than other bimini top where you need to lower your head while you are standing under it. this one I can walk freely under it. It fine with 2 people fishing but with 3 people, you need to remove it.

Bayliner F16 review. 17 Aug 2016 04:21 #6

• tito123tito
Here is the new switch after the dealer installed it for me (the black one under accessories). now I have each live well on a separate switch. The dealer was nice enough to charge me only $20 the price of the switch with no labor.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Bayliner F16 review. 06 Nov 2016 04:13 #7

• madmatt500
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm thinking of trading in my 2014 element 16 for the F16 might go to f18 though. The regular element. Is ok and I agree with all your assessments. These boats are good lake/ bay boats, protected waters. They do not handed chop very well. That being said great value to get you out on the water. Is it hard to get to the rear live well with the leaning post there looks like it. I think I'd have to modify it to make it adjustable and removable. I'd like to see Bayliner offer a t-top for the F 16 as well.

Bayliner F16 review. 06 Nov 2016 23:19 #8

• tito123tito

madmatt500 wrote: I'm thinking of trading in my 2014 element 16 for the F16 might go to f18 though. The regular element. Is ok and I agree with all your assessments. These boats are good lake/ bay boats, protected waters. They do not handed chop very well. That being said great value to get you out on the water. Is it hard to get to the rear live well with the leaning post there looks like it. I think I'd have to modify it to make it adjustable and removable. I'd like to see Bayliner offer a t-top for the F 16 as well.

I would not recommend T-top with f16, you will not have any space to move around the console. If you like T-top and have no problem with boat storage space, go with the F18.

Also if most of the time you will fish with more than 1 buddy, go with the F18. F16 is good for 2 and occasionally 3 persons, more than that go with the F18. Also as you said, the M hull is good for calm water, if you will around choppy waters, I would recommend a real V hull.

I have no problem to reach the rear livewell, Actually I have 2 livewell in mine and I prefer the rear one, I use the front one as a cooler. I would not recommend modifying anything, because with the added cost, its cheaper to buy F18.

so bottom Line if:
- you want a boat for calm / moderate water.
- you will fish with only 1 buddy most of the time
- looking for a cheap boat and you don't care to get high quality.

go with the Bayliner F16, it will do the job perfectly.

For me, if money wasn't an issue, I would get either NauticStar 1810 or Seafox viper 180 or Sea Chaser 21 LX ( that model of Sea chaser is my dream boat). Don't get me wrong , I am happy with what I have now, any boat in the market with same features as mine is at least $10K more. I would never pay more money for a bayliner boat more than what I paid for my F16.

Bayliner F16 review. 07 Nov 2016 20:04 #9

• madmatt500
  • Thank you received: 1
Yeah I agree. Get what you pay for. I'm going to check out the f16 tomorrow. I want to see the actual feel for it. My regular element 16 foot feels very big. For some reason the f16 looks a lot smaller in the pictures anyway. As far as the t-tops go I'm surprised that it would take away from the side walk around room. The f18 and the f16 are the same width, with the same center console. From the looks you just lose the space in the back hence the leaning post instead of the seat.

Regards
Matt

• Page:
Moderators: Download_Complete
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds