TOPIC: 2015 Bayliner 642 Overnight / 21' Cuddy

2015 Bayliner 642 Overnight / 21' Cuddy 18 Jul 2016 01:40 #1

• rbrauerei
  • rbrauerei's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
  • Thank you received: 63
While the 2015/2016 Bayliner runabouts and deck boats get all the attention, especially the VR5/VR6 and Element models (XL, F16, F18), the company’s lone entry in the US cuddy cabin market deserves a closer look. I believe the 642 Cuddy is the best option for anyone looking for an overnighter in the 21’ category. (This is a European model first marketed in the US in 2014; 642 = 6.42 meters or just over 21’ LOA. But I still enjoy the look on people’s faces when they think we have a 64’ boat!) We looked at a new Stingray 215CR in person at the dealer, at the Four Winns S215 online, and a few used cuddy cabin boats in person; nothing came close to the layout and appearance of the Bayliner 642, which we first saw at the Annapolis Boat Show last year. And as soon as we test rode a 642 this spring, the smooth ride of the hull and performance of the engine convinced us that we didn’t need to look any further.

We’ve had our 2015 642 just over two months now and we couldn’t be happier with the choice or the performance. This is the boat we’ve wanted all our lives. Granted, cuddies seem to have a limited fan base, especially in my area (Chesapeake Bay); however, this size boat is perfect for the boating we have in mind – day cruising with the option for the occasional overnight on the hook. We also keep her on a lift at our waterfront home on a relatively shallow creek; so, this is as big as could go and still have a cabin. Another factor we considered when looking for the right boat is the fact that we are novices; we’ve rented 21’ bowriders in the past, but this is the first boat we’ve owned (other than kayaks); so, a bigger cruiser – while nice – just didn’t make sense. This boat handles like a dream even with these neophyte hands at the helm. It’s responsive and easy to maneuver in tight quarters (docking, getting her on the lift) and is steady underneath in open water. The ride is extremely smooth and turning is extremely responsive while on plane. We’ve had her out in some decent wind and Chesapeake chop and she handles it with ease. While we try to avoid rougher days until we gain more experience, it doesn’t take much to make things interesting on the Chesapeake Bay. At those times, have confidence this boat can get us back to the dock safely. I am certain the cabin/closed bow helps make the ride smoother than would be the case with a bowrider. We cruise normally at 15-20mph in the 2500-3000 rpm range very comfortably in the open Bay; when she hits a patch of smooth water, she picks up speed quickly and wants to run even faster. When the conditions are right, getting up on plane is relatively easy; she climbs out the hole quickly and doesn’t need much throttle to start moving out. And when you have really smooth water – on a river for example – this boat can fly easily at 45mph around 3500-3800 rpms.

We just had the I/O 4.3L MPI 220hp (upgrade option) engine’s first service after the 20 hour break-in period; pleased, to report no problems or issues. The points for checking engine fluids are easily reached – with the exception of the power trim reservoir, which is at the far back of the engine compartment. The fill indicator line on the power trim reservoir is also turned around so that it’s impossible to read it unless you are looking straight down on the reservoir while standing in the engine compartment (difficult to do since the only real space to stand is mostly taken up by the fresh water tank’s pump). Another small nuisance is how long it takes to fill the 10 gallon water tank (for optional port side helm sink and transom shower) – it has taken me more than 10 minutes to fill with a lot of water spilling out the fill cap due to what seems like an inefficient venting system. The 33 gallon fuel tank fills easily and has been sufficient to take us out for the day and return with plenty of reserve.

We all know the fit and finish of Bayliner is more toward economy. But frankly, this boat is beautiful in the blue accent and Stainless Steel Trim upgrades. In my opinion, the look and feel of the cockpit rivals any boat out there in this size category – regardless of price. The capacity claims 8 persons or 1133lbs (1233 with gear), but we know that is a stretch. Nevertheless, this means the cockpit is extremely roomy for just the two of us and would seat four adults very nicely. The upgrade bucket helm seat is very comfortable; however, I wish it also had an adjustable height. It can rotate or move forward/back and has a flip-up bolster, but just a couple more inches in height would be nice for those with shorter legs like my wife. The helm is basic, but functional; MPH/RPM gauges, trim and battery gauges, and optional digital depth sounder and compass. And a 12V outlet. I kind of wish there was a digital clock though. There is ample space in the center of the dash to add a GPS/fishfinder, which we’ll do sometime in the future – it seems that a 7-9” model will fit nicely. (For now, we use a hand-held GPS in a Ram Mount from our kayaking days.) I haven’t been in the port helm seat very much, but the L-shaped bench seat is great for lounging. On the other hand, the port helm seat is much too low for good visibility while underway – not just when helping to keep a watch on boat traffic, but just for enjoying the sights. On the port helm dash is a great sounding Bluetooth capable Jensen stereo system (two speakers; one on port, one on starboard gunwales near the helm). We added a 12V outlet as a modification on this port side as well. The optional sink is on the port side helm too; I am not sure how useful this really is though as a sink – it has a locking lid and we tend to use it more to keep things close at hand like binoculars or a notebook. I’d do away with this since there is a transom shower that can also be used to rinse anything one might do in a sink. I would like to see a factory installed mount for a fire extinguisher somewhere in the cockpit; we are still debating the best place to do this as a modification. The boat also has a sun lounge on the back deck and a 2’ swim platform – both very functional.

The cabin is sparse, but quite roomy. At 5’10” I can sit up straight with a couple inches headroom. There are two overhead LED lights and two sunlights (but they do not open as hatches), as well as two portlights, which do open. When converted to a berth, it sleeps two quite comfortably. On our first overnight, we left the cabin hatch open all night and this created sufficient airflow to keep cool. Of course, it wasn’t a blistering hot summer day; so, we’ll see how this performs in the future. And there weren’t any mosquitos on this night; my wife is tinkering with some mosquito netting to make a cover for the hatch just in case. Unlike some other cuddy models, it does not have a stove in the cabin – which is okay; we added a pedestal mount for a Kuuma grill on the swim platform and this performs wonderfully. There is a dedicated storage space for an optional porta-potty in the cabin – and despite popular aversion to porta-potties, this also performed wonderfully for us during the overnighter. The cabin lacks any other storage except for the cockpit table, but this is to be expected in a cuddy this size. There are large storage compartments under the port seats, in the floor, and a small compartment under the back bench; it’s not a lot of storage, but sufficient. This means you take just what you need and not a lot of extraneous stuff. I would like a space in the cockpit to store a small cooler though; this has to sit in the cuddy cabin when underway since there is no place to stow or secure a cooler in the cockpit. When at anchor, there is ample room in the cockpit to have the cooler nearby and not in the way of moving around. In the cabin, we also added a panel with a 12V and USB outlet. The bimini top folds down and stows perfectly under the engine hatch; the optional canvas package is easy to attach, as is the cockpit cover, which performs well under heavy rains. There is a roomy anchor locker with enough space for two anchors if desired – the addition of the optional anchor roller is highly recommended and makes anchoring a lot easier. We added an additional cleat on the bow for the anchor line next to the anchor locker since the bow cleats are some distance aft of the locker.

The only other major modification was the addition of a second deep cell battery and a battery charger, along with a 4-way battery switch; all which fits nicely in the engine compartment. An external plug modification allows for plugging in the charger to shore power. Oh, we did add a float switch for the bilge pump since it didn’t come as standard equipment – just like almost everyone else has to do that buys a Bayliner. Not being a professional reviewer, I hope this gives the reader a decent snap shot of the performance and comfort of the 642. The drawbacks have all been extremely minor – usually little fit and finish nuisances. No boat is perfect in every way. But for us, we feel this is the perfect boat in size, in performance, and in price.

You can find photos and specs at the following links:

Bayliner's model site

BOC 642 Owners

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rick
"Our Dream" -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

2015 Bayliner 642 Overnight / 21' Cuddy 21 Jul 2016 22:02 #2

• Nickdixon
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Less than 650 days until retirement
  • Thank you received: 74
Wish they had offered this in 2013...

Bayliner 195 Bowrider 2013 4.3l 220hp MPI
Alpha 1, Gen II
2012 Toyota Highlander V6 4wd with tow package
Albany, Ohio

MMSI: 338234042

Beware the men of measured merriment
(Sinclair Lewis, Arrowsmith, paraphrased)

2015 Bayliner 642 Overnight / 21' Cuddy 21 Jul 2016 22:50 #3

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
It's not too late to get one now! But personally I don't think they will be around in the US much longer. I am surprised they haven't gotten more attention. On the other hand, the lack of attention means I feel like we got a real bargain when we bought our's in March. And the dealer still has two more brand new 2015s, which they just lowered the price on...(fortunately still not lower than we paid - but I suspect by the end of the summer these will be a steal if they are still sitting there).

Rick

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

2015 Bayliner 642 Overnight / 21' Cuddy 22 Jul 2016 01:00 #4

• scout265
  • Thank you received: 20
Well Rick it looks like all us 642 owners, all two of us (ha-ha), are very happy with our boats. Not that boats follow the same as cars, but my FJ cruiser that I own and is discontinued (was a limited run from the start) is now worth a pretty penny on the used market. So who knows. There are a couple more 642 owners I've touched base with on the BOC Facebook page, but both are from across the pond. No matter. I felt I was lucky to have caught word of the 642 despite practically zero promotion of it and even luckier to have found one in the state next to me as I won't buy a boat sight unseen. The 642 is as fun as my 175 was, but now with the option to comfortably camp in it for the weekend. Which we love doing. For us that means more fun for longer periods. Plus it handles chop way better.

2016 Bayliner 642 Overnighter / 4.5L Mercruiser 200
Hydrohoist Lift
2011 Bayliner 175
F250 / FJ Cruiser
Arizona USA

2015 Bayliner 642 Overnight / 21' Cuddy 22 Jul 2016 07:12 #5

• RGrew176
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335
I saw my 1st 642 a couple years ago at the Detroit Boat Show. Nice boat.

Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

2015 Bayliner 642 Overnight / 21' Cuddy 28 Jul 2016 16:47 #6

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Just returned from a local trip with 2 overnights. The 642 is called an "Overnighter" and that's what she's best at...stretching her into a "Weekender" was doable, but stowage space for provisions - especially fresh water (a necessity in the summer heat) was stretched to the limit. I will say that I stowed more in gear (clothing bags, etc) forward in the cabin than we do usually and nothing moved an inch after running 15 miles out in the Chesapeake. Of course, the water was smooth - I was able to hit 30 mph at 3000 rpm in the short run in the Bay from my home creek north to Annapolis. It was sweet!

Oh, and the porta-potty hit it's max!

Rick

2015 Bayliner 642 Overnight / 21' Cuddy 28 Jul 2016 16:54 #7

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 553
Latest word is the 642 is dying, possibly as early as 2017.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

2015 Bayliner 642 Overnight / 21' Cuddy 13 Oct 2016 21:08 #8

• rhythmpoetdonut
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Guys! I heard that the 642 was dying, also. Funny thing -- they're rarely available. I don't understand why there isn't more supply, as the demand for used cuddies seems pretty high in my area (Spokane, like 60 lakes within 60 miles - and four very big lakes, too!) I suspect that Bayliner will come out with another cuddy version for the US eventually.

So, I just purchased a 2015 642. I am not at all worried about it being a dying breed, as I have noticed the 4.3L MPI engine is standard and used on many new boats, and the Alpha One outdrive is a total classic. After comparing with many other models, there is no doubt the 642 was a very well-conceived boat. I can't understand why more people didn't demand them -- but maybe they are -- I don't see many for sale! The 642 is the Volkswagen Camper Van of boats - camps anywhere, goes anywhere, can be towed by about anything.

Cheers!

It is when you give of yourself that you truly give - Kahlil Gilbran
New: 2015 Bayliner 642 in Red, 4.3L MPI, Alpha 1 Gen II
Former: 2010 Bayliner 175 BR in Blue, 3.0L TKS

2015 Bayliner 642 Overnight / 21' Cuddy 13 Oct 2016 21:29 #9

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 553
Bayliner will produce anything that their customers want.

The 642 is a lovely boat - I have driven one. But it's not what is wanted right now. Bayliner watches market trends VERY closely and I guarantee they will put a model into the mix for any niche that is showing promise (witness the Heyday acquisition).

What might replace it is the VR series cuddy over in Europe, but as of this writing, there are no plans to offer it here. Kind of looks like a mini-Ciera:

The following user(s) said Thank You: rhythmpoetdonut

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL
Last Edit: by Download_Complete.

2015 Bayliner 642 Overnight / 21' Cuddy 14 Oct 2016 03:14 #10

• scout265
  • Thank you received: 20

rhythmpoetdonut wrote: Hi Guys! I heard that the 642 was dying, also. Funny thing -- they're rarely available. I don't understand why there isn't more supply, as the demand for used cuddies seems pretty high in my area (Spokane, like 60 lakes within 60 miles - and four very big lakes, too!) I suspect that Bayliner will come out with another cuddy version for the US eventually.

So, I just purchased a 2015 642. I am not at all worried about it being a dying breed, as I have noticed the 4.3L MPI engine is standard and used on many new boats, and the Alpha One outdrive is a total classic. After comparing with many other models, there is no doubt the 642 was a very well-conceived boat. I can't understand why more people didn't demand them -- but maybe they are -- I don't see many for sale! The 642 is the Volkswagen Camper Van of boats - camps anywhere, goes anywhere, can be towed by about anything.

Cheers!

You'll like the A-1 paired with your new 4.3. Way more refined than on our 175s paired to the 3.0.. No more "clunk " when shifting.

2016 Bayliner 642 Overnighter / 4.5L Mercruiser 200
Hydrohoist Lift
2011 Bayliner 175
F250 / FJ Cruiser
Arizona USA

2015 Bayliner 642 Overnight / 21' Cuddy 14 Oct 2016 19:59 #11

• rhythmpoetdonut
That VR is sick! Nice ride! For me -- after comparing the 642 with new Stingrays, Regals, Fourwinns, used Maxims, Ebbtides, Rinkers, Crownlines, Cobalts, Chapparal, etc. I just kept coming back to the 642's weight, length, beam, seaworthiness, Mercruiser componentry, max height off the water (I go under small train bridges on creeks), and new price.

Although I have specific needs, most used cuddys sell for 28k or so that are 10-12 years old around here. Most of those are 22-28 feet (a bit larger), powered by big V8s that will push 50 mph (not necessary and probably not smart), eat gobs of gas, and need a 3/4 ton truck for pulling. The 642 seems perfect for the Inland Northwest.

I understand Bayliner must pay attention to overall market trends for mass production purposes. Regional companies - probably dead - seemed to have supplied boats that best met the needs of local boaters. I understand these needs can be very specific. I would hope that Bayliner can produce even more models for specific purposes and also at good prices. I certainly appreciate the innovation of the last several years! Are you saying that a guy can order anything? That's pretty darned compelling, too!!!

Having a Bayliner 175, there were some things I'd change (TKS) - but my 175 was super great for helping me discover what I really wanted in a boat. I looked at cuddies, and even though price was a consideration, design was most important to me. Bayliner 642 won. Heck -- I put my dealer up to a nationwide search! I know my 642 will be turning some heads locally.

Sorry so long winded -- very excited! Thank you for the response!!!

2015 Bayliner 642 Overnight / 21' Cuddy 22 Oct 2016 13:27 #12

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Hello, RPD! Nice to still see some chatter about the 642. I've been away from the forum for awhile - new job and staying on the water as much as possible in our 642. She's in for end-of-year service right now. I think we put over 100 hours on her our first season. She did everything we asked of her and more. Our last run across the Chesapeake, the water was so smooth we were able to get her up to 35mph at just over 3000 rpm. This boat is simply perfect for her size and our needs on the Bay. But as noted, Bayliner has discontinued the model for 2017. My dealer STILL has two new 2015s sitting at the marina. Just not what boaters on around here want.

Rick

2015 Bayliner 642 Overnight / 21' Cuddy 07 Nov 2016 06:20 #13

• rhythmpoetdonut
Yes, sadly, but like you guys, I am not one to go with the rest:) Regardless, I hope to see more folks on this forum with 642s. Wasn't it (or perhaps it still is) super popular in Europe and New Zealand? I believe it's still continued in Canada and overseas for 2017, right? I have a feeling those folks think like me -- they don't want to haul around 8000 pounds of boat twice a week, or have that much larger of a lift, or more dock space, or whatever. Guessing the total weight with Karavan trailer and gear, mine will be 4500 lbs. That's heavy enough -- I'll be trailering primarily -- at first.

Thank you again for the excellent recommendations!!!

So -- sounds like the key additions I am focusing upon include (no order of importance):

1. Auxiliary battery and boat switch (both, neither, 1 or 2) - any recommendations for switch location?
2. Lowrance Hook 7 or similar 7-9 inch display fishfinder/chartplotter
3. Carpet kit ($680) - tan
4. Three 12v sockets - one in the cuddy, one on port side passenger (admiral), and another in engine compartment (seems handy for a light)
5. Spare tire for Karavan tandem trailer. I think that's a 185x14 - location recommendation?
6. Fluted anchor (8 lb) with 10 feet of chain and 100 feet of rope (have roller)
7. Engine hour meter. Why are 642s not coming with them? Regardless, having dealer install it, should help me keep track of maintenance. Although I understand can pull hours off the engine. $75
8. Porta potti (recommendations?) - dimensions seem to be 15-19 inches wide, 11.5 inches tall (max height).
9. Possible: keel guard for beaching - $450
10. Possible: Teak table (where can I get one?)
11. Possible: Heater Craft 200 Boat Heater - $650 installed, or about $200 if I install. Might be fun.
12. Boat canvas cover (?) any recommendations?
13. Possible: Water repellent for stock camper, bimini and cockpit canvas?
14. Rode cleat next to anchor locker.
15. Possible: Teak or foam teak for swim platform
16. Possible: New hitch for 2007 Highlander (existing is UHaul, but might only be to 3500 lb capacity)
17. Five pin connection conversion for trailer wiring
18. A more adept understanding of surge brakes (lol)
19. Possible: Dealer says there's a float switch, but I don't see one. Is there one?
20. Possible: Extra prop
21. Possible: Slotted side hooks for boat fenders
22. Possible: A boat name I can like for more than five minutes :)
23. Possible: LED lights like Off Road

. . . So far (list keeps growing)

Confession here -- I went back and forth with dealer a bit on "preferred options" package, which he said it had, in addition to so many other options. I understood the preferred equipment to include porta potti, teak table, carpet. Well, funny thing -- the boat I purchased did not come with any of those things. And, it just so happens the Euro preferred package consists ONLY of those three things. I didn't realize that. And, preferred eq. might also have varied between years offered (2014, 2015, and 2016) in US. For this year, I hear each added equipment feature is offered separately (no more preferred, etc.) - which is probably better as it's clearer. Regardless, seems it should be consistent across years and locales.

Couple of Qs:
1. What is the tongue weight of the trailer when it's loaded? Guess?
2. How strong is the swim platform? Good for six hundred pounds (three big dudes?)
3. Have you had any breakage or wear issues with anything? At all?
4. How is engine noise, such as compared to 3.0L 175?
5. Thought top speed was about 44 for the 4.3. Not true?

Anyway -- the dream of boating is keeping me thinking summer - hope the feeling lasts through winter (here in Washington State).
Any comments welcome!
Cheers!

Last Edit: by rhythmpoetdonut. Reason: spelling, clarity, coherency

2015 Bayliner 642 Overnight / 21' Cuddy 12 Nov 2016 16:55 #14

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
RPD, a couple answers to your questions...

5. Top speed: I've seen a range of 40-50mph in reviews. I've had my 4.3L MPI (220hp) up to 45+ at around 4000rpm on a nice smooth river. My usual cruising speed on the Chesapeake Bay is in the 10-20mph / 2800-3800 rpm range (depending upon weather). I've had her up to 35+ several times on rivers and even out in the open Bay (perfect conditions). Load at those speeds has been 2 persons (my wife and I - and I'm a big guy) plus full fuel tank and other provisions for an overnight trip.

2. Swim platform capacity: Not sure I've seen a spec for capacity for the swim platform. Most we've had on it at the same time is 2 people (again wife and I) = 320 lbs (more than 2/3's of that is me!).

Modifications:

1. Aux battery and switch: I put my Deep Cell battery right next to my Starting Battery and my 4-way switch in the exact same place the original switch was located (starboard side forward in engine compartment).
2. 7-8" chartplotter/fishfinder: This is our modification for spring; I think 7-8" is the best size for the helm dash.
4. 12v sockets: I agree with your plan. I had one put on the port side helm and one in the cuddy cabin (also on the port side bulkhead). The one inside the cabin also has USB sockets - which have come in handy for charging phones/iPods. I wish we had put the USB/12v panel on the port side helm too.
6. Anchor: We currently use an 8lb Danforth with only 4 feet of chain and 100' of rope. My wife is usually the line handler, so we went with a bit lighter chain. We also just got a Fortress FX-7 (4lb. Aluminum Anchor for 16-27' Boat, Replaces 6-9lb. Steel Anchor); supposedly has same holding power for half the weight. We haven't used it yet; will be tested out next season.
8. Porta-potty: We have the Dometic Portable Toilet 2.6 Gallon 13.5 x 15.5 x 12.5 inches; I think that is the largest that fits in the compartment in the cabin. That sufficed for a 2-night trip for my wife and I with no problems. Of course, we docked a couple times at restaurants and used land facilities when possible.
12. Canvas cover: We keep our boat on a lift/dock at our home; so we decided to not shrink wrap since I can keep a daily eye on the boat. We just bought a Westland Sunbrella Semi-custom acrylic canvas in dimensions for a 21' Euro Cuddy from iBoats. It was pricey, but comes with a 10yr guarantee. I'll let you know how it does this winter.
14. Rode cleat: We had our dealer install this at delivery. Absolutely necessary IMO.
19. Float switch: This is not standard. Had it installed at delivery.

We don't have a trailer; so, can't answer those questions. I don't think a heater is really necessary - since we are really not boating in winter. Plus, the cabin is small; so, not sure how that would fit. LED lights are something we are pondering; the best way to install.

As for a name, "Our Dream" fits nicely on the port side transom area.

Rick

• Page:
Moderators: Download_Complete
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds