Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 01 Jun 2016 20:03 #1

• xxtoon
  • xxtoon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 12
I had been searching for information on the Element and have been to all major forum who have discussed the pros and cons. I looked into several bowriders before settling on the Element XL. I offer some feedback for those who are interested in the Element or Element XL.

Here is the criteria that led me to the Element XL.

1. Originally thought I wanted a pontoon, but after driving around realized i liked deck boats.
2. I didn't really like a bow rider. I couldn't have friends on the boat and feel like we could all talk.
3. It had to fit in my garage of a newer house (21 ft depth). with swing tongue.
4. I wanted a simple boat that was less maintenance.
5. Wanted an outboard for less maintenance also.
6. Wanted to spend less than 22k with trailer plus T,T,T

Some cons or questions
1. Was concerned about Bayliner quality. Specifically the big issues. Hull strength, whether they used wood in hull or Transom),
2. I had minor concerns about water in gas area turning to mildew.
3. Concerns about hearing some ignition switches falling apart while out in water.
4. Could it be used very infrequently in tampa bay (Not open water).
5. How bad is the M hull when doing 30 mph in rough chop.
6. Only comes with speedo with Voltmeter. No Tach, Trim, or Hours
7. Cushions flying out while driving down road.

Now I have had it for a few weeks.

- The boat is a lot of fun!. I do wish it had a tach, a hour meter, and a trim gauge.
- Will install a Mercury Smartmonitor system at some point.
- I installed a second 12 gal gas tank. After all day playing i was less than a 1/5 of original tank left. After cleaning and putting in garage i put a fan blowing in gas area to dry it. Only small amount of water has been seen.
- I bought the 115hp Mercury Fourstroke and it was worth it. It hits 42mph with 4 adults according to Garmin GPS.
- No cushion issues. No ignition issues.
- Has all fiberglass hull and seems to be in perfect order. Even has lifetime hull warranty.
- Bilge pump has not been needed. Dry as a bone. Probably since i keep it in garage.
- Normally i stay completely dry in this boat. But In a heavy chop it beats you up and sprays you if you try to haul butt back to ramp. It does fine in a small/medium chop.
- Also it's extremely easy to launch and put back on trailer. The bunks fit the M hull so easily it's hard to miss.

So in summary it is a good first boat for me. It's not perfect but its a great boat for it's price and features. The only feature i wish is it could have M hull and do better in chop.

---Shadowaero

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: austinb80, Gijames56, dtregde

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp Mercury Fourstroke

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 02 Jun 2016 01:06 #2

• mjoseph20
  • Thank you received: 5
Great summary! I was in the same position with a pontoon. Went with the Element XL. Love it. I have a few small issues that need addressed but nothing bad enough to get me to take it out of the water. They can be addressed in the fall.

The Element XL is a great boat for a family and/or a first time boater like myself. Boat is very roomy. M-hull is very stable. Fuel economy is amazing. I hardly use any gas.

For anyone considering purchasing one, I would recommend to get a lot of the options. I couldn't imagine not having the following:
-115 HP motor
-Additional fuel tank
-Bimini top
-Desert tan interior
-Auto bilge pump (if you keep it in the water)
-Bimini top
-Mooring cover (if you keep it in the water)
-Bow filler cushion
-Depth gage
-Cooler but go to Walmart and get it for $20. $93 is a ripoff.
-Radio is OK. It's kind of a pain having it on the side. You would be better off with a portable blue tooth speaker like a Fugoo. It will fit in the side compartment on the helm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: austinb80, Aparzane, dtregde

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 03 Jul 2016 09:45 #3

• r_255
Hi, I am Dutch and bought my vessel in Germany.

As it was the last one in the showroom i got it with full options and like recommended here: a 115HP new mercury latest model.
I wanted the boat with no options and just a mooring cover, but they made me and offer i could not refuse.

After beeing out on the water for my 1st day i think its very nice and spacious boat.
My previous boat was kind of under powered so this feels like a rocket to me.... It acutally makes me think of the 1st generation waterscooter.
very snappy and responsive on the throttle and is out of the water faster than i expected.

The radio is kind of hard to control from the drivers seat, but you could use jcontrol on any mobile device to take control at the helm. Its a free download for apple and android.
I do agree with the cooler, this could be more fancy... and so close to the battery it makes me wonder why they did not make it electric.

My personal issues that bayliner should take a look at :

The bimini top is nice, but as i am in a bridge rich area in need to lower it many times before i am on the lake.... shame it covers the back sundeck halve way and there for is kind of a pain in the ass.
Its almost like they took the same bimini from the 160 model and placed that one on the XL model.

Also please bayliner, remove those iron clips at the steel wires or cover them in some kind of plastic wrap.... I am talking about the quick release system of the bimini. I already got my 1st scratches on my hull. As one legg dropped outboard and the clip got stuck between the gelcoat and made some deep scratches. So beware...

Ski arch.... it got down finally as one of the handles was really stuck and cold not be turned by hand. When i got it turning and the arch came down it could not get it back up again. As the part that should interlock with the other part is about 5 mm off.
Its now removed from its base I am going to make it in some kind of quick release mechanism like the bimini and make it fit properly. Omg, today i noticed it even punctured my back seat....

So i guess the bimini should stay up or should be completely off but dont put it down as the change on damaging your boat is huge,,,,

The kit quality is poor and the kit is already loose and hanging out on the backside where the hull and deck meet.

I have a masking sticker on full lenght of the hull that covers the transition of black to white gel coat on the hull and makes it harder to give the boat a good polish/wax job.
Now as i am gfx designer, i rather would see nice colored foil gxf and not the cmyk printed one. In my case the gray elements are gray with some dash of blue/purple
But then again, i am looking with a eagle eye on gfx so thats only a small point, sure its harder to apply and more expensive but who cares to spend just a bit more on proper gfx.

mooring cover at the ski pole should have a machete or something, as its a lower point water runs down at that point into the boat and gas/storage area...

So far my little issues as new owner, and more or less things that could be improved, but sure not spoil the fun.
I am also looking into some more instruments and did consider mercmonitor, but i think i will wait till vessel view mobile hits the streets.

So general I am very happy with my new boat and especially with its low profile, as i can pass all 5 bridges here without any problem and there for am not restricted to time. ( last turn is at 19:00 )

Oh and i have added a small video of the bow rise from 0 to full throttle
plus.google.com/+RobinFrantzen/posts/WdafyWWHBe2

The following user(s) said Thank You: austinb80

Last Edit: by r_255. Reason: added bow rise video

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 09 Jul 2016 09:01 #4

• r_255
could not add more picture

Added the manuals i could find online ( seems there is no element XL manual, so posted the little brother version )

Bayliner element160 bayliner.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/2015-Element.pdf
Depth finder faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0091G.pdf
Audio Jensen ms3a www.jensenmarinedirect.com/downloads/dl/...3a_owners_manual.pdf

Last Edit: by r_255. Reason: manuals added

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 12 Sep 2016 07:14 #5

• r_255
Okay we are a few month later and my boat is going back to the dealer.

After having a few days of fun with the boat i had a issue of water hamer. Not sure if i can translate it this way, but it seems to be that thru the exhaust water gets fired back into the motor.
I had to make this stop for a water bird, and i wasnt going harder than 4/5 mph. From fwd i pulled the gass quick to neutral wait a split moment and pull the lever into reverse to stop the boat.
just the same routine i always do ( 20 years experience different motors and boats )

The motor stalled and after restarting again there was this nasty rattle. The rattle increased with the rpm and
it did not mather or it was in fwd, neutral or reverse. Took the boat out of the water for further investigation and it seems my hole top block needs to be replaced. At 1st they did say it wasn't under regular warranty
but now they admit this should not happen with a brand new motor and gonna replace the top motor block as one cylinder seems badly damaged.

Besides the motor issue, i decided to give to boat a good clean and i found these strange stress cracks into my gelcoat. That is on the inside, and outside in the black part.
I am more than sure i did not hit anything, and after this accident on my old boat i am kind of experienced with gelcoat and stress cracks, its even on the opposite side of where i board and my fenders are on
and there is absolute impact damage, while the cracks are about 50 inch long. Its hard to see in the black part and impossible to photograph, but on the inside on the white there is some dirt buildup in the crack so there for it's clearly visible.

Also i want to make this point about the ski pole... i just need to take it up and down and its building up all these small dents on the aluminium base kind of dangerous near the swimming platforms. For now i am covering them with old socks as i dont want any kid to get hurt jumping on and off the boat but a plasti dip coating or something like that might do the job properly.

I must admit i feel less happy about the boat due to all the issues and the case of bad luck i seem to have, but i got to admit when its working its a lot of fun! But a complete new motor that turns to scrap within the 20 hr range doesn't give me any faith for the future.

Last Edit: by r_255. Reason: added imgs

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 18 Sep 2016 11:00 #6

• r_255
Sorry to say but my fun is gone in the set is gone....

Still waiting for answers from Brunswick and what they are going to do about the motor issue.
Now i have to wait till the responsible guy that needs to make the decision is back from his holiday while i am without my boat during my vacation.

Even calling brunswick direct doesn't give me any understanding for my situation.
Its nice that i can press 3 for dutch but you dont expect a french talking guy on the phone that gets irritated because i can't understand his english that good because of his accent.
After giving my motor serial he told me could do nothing for me as the issue is not registered in the system and the dealer needs to solve the issue.

See the damage on my brand new motor by making a stop at such a low speed. If there is any body that can explain to me how this can happen at such speed and what i might have done wrong
that have caused this kind of damage i would be very grateful.

Last Edit: by r_255.

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 27 Sep 2016 19:38 #7

• TigerBoat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 34

r_255 wrote: After having a few days of fun with the boat i had a issue of water hamer. Not sure if i can translate it this way, but it seems to be that thru the exhaust water gets fired back into the motor.
I had to make this stop for a water bird, and i wasnt going harder than 4/5 mph. From fwd i pulled the gass quick to neutral wait a split moment and pull the lever into reverse to stop the boat.
just the same routine i always do ( 20 years experience different motors and boats )

The motor stalled and after restarting again there was this nasty rattle. The rattle increased with the rpm and
it did not mather or it was in fwd, neutral or reverse. Took the boat out of the water for further investigation and it seems my hole top block needs to be replaced. At 1st they did say it wasn't under regular warranty
but now they admit this should not happen with a brand new motor and gonna replace the top motor block as one cylinder seems badly damaged.

Hello r_255,

Are you saying that you have now been informed by Brunswick that if you use the boat's reverse, you can potentially wreck your engine block by pushing water up through the exhaust.

That doesn't seem quite right :huh:

2016 75hp Element 160 w/ Smart Tabs & Sponson Drains

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 27 Sep 2016 20:17 #8

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 552
This is a water ingestion issue. It is not exclusive to outboards, nor to Mercury, but it should not be happening especially at slow speeds. The motor took a drink of water and hydrolocked, which caused the bent con rod.

I am really sorry this occurred. :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: TigerBoat

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 27 Sep 2016 22:55 #9

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
But please remember......... Brunswick did not make the engine. It is a Mercury problem. It could have had a Suzuki or Honda on it just as easy.

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 28 Sep 2016 05:07 #10

• r_255
@ Tigerboat
Hi,
Yes that's indirect the kind of the answer i get.... ! ( communications go thru the service center )

They call it a user error, and out of the box it isn't covered by your warranty..... my service center told me they ( mercury ) had 3 other motors with the same issue.
After explaining what happend every one agree's that this should not happen as its a complete new brunswick set...
But now 4 weeks and a spoiled holiday later i still dont know anything. :(

@Download_complete
Thats exactly the issue here, but how this could have happend at this speed really strikes me... even crossed my mind that water might flow different due to the M-hull but thats pure speculation.
thanks for your support!

@Alaskanmutt
I do remember the dealer saying that it was made for mercury motors and that it would fit without adapters. To be honest i started at the 160 model with a small motor, then i stretched my budget and boat to a 180 model and was looking for a used 115 hp
Yamaha or Suzuki but then the dealer told me that was a silly idea and i beter look for Mercury, again i stretched my budget. So yes it could have been.... but is not.

So yes you are right... Brunswick did not make the motor, but did get the money ;o)
The following user(s) said Thank You: TigerBoat

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 28 Sep 2016 10:31 #11

• r_255
Okay the final word is out, they are not going to repair it under warranty...... :(

I need to come by at the service station and they want to meet me some where in the middle because there are only 16hrs on the clock...
but i need to pay for the repairs any way.

I am feeling very frustrated now as i did not do anything that wrong to wreck a motor and even have people to proof that, i guess the only way now is go to court and let the judge decide.
To be honest i am very disappointed in the after sales and the way Mercury handles his customers.

Isnt it that the element set is sold as the perfect beginners boat and drives like a car on water.
Well let them explain in court !

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 28 Sep 2016 13:58 #12

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
An outboard motor is literally vertical. TO get the engine to ingest water, at 3-4 mph, and travel UP the housing into the power head, requires more than just force.

It requires exhaust vacuum to help that water get up into the engine.

THat would suggest an engine fault. I would push hard on the actual physics of getting the water into the power head, and I would also see if you could pull the logs from the ECU and see what RPMs you were turning, you could also extrapolate exact speed.

I assure you they haven't thought this far ahead, so you need details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: r_255

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 28 Sep 2016 14:35 #13

• TigerBoat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Alaskanmutt wrote: But please remember......... Brunswick did not make the engine. It is a Mercury problem. It could have had a Suzuki or Honda on it just as easy.

Alaskanmutt,

Brunswick did SELECT the engine and include it as a key component of THEIR vessel package. I don't believe that this engine is something that the customer purchased separately and bolted onto the boat after purchase. r_255 did not purchase the Merc engine from a separate Mercury dealer, he purchased it from the Bayliner dealer. Shouldn't he be able to go through this same Bayliner dealer to have this issue corrected?

Brunswick does not actually make many of the components that are included on this vessel, however they do support their customers when these components fail prematurely.
Right?

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 28 Sep 2016 14:45 #14

• r_255
Thanks again for your advise and make me understand.

Of course it could be a mph more or less ( hard to see below the 1st mark on the meter ) that's only fair i guess.
Well the final verdict came after a mercury expert was send in and had a good look, so I am going to request the ECU dump and see what they have to offer me.....

As i feel now i did not do anything wrong, so that's a position for me where it is hard to accept an offer even its intended good and to make things less harsh.

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 30 Sep 2016 12:59 #15

• r_255
Today i have been at the mercury service center, and some how they are still discussing the case with mercury.
I have seen the motor opened up, but now i wonder how the water could damage cylinder nr 3, that is the second in line.

To me it would have been more logical as the 1st cylinder was damaged to.. as the water should pass the 1st cylinder before it can reach the 2nd or is this a wrong conclusion?
ECU dump is not easy to get for the service center and is not something they have not been looking at all. But they are still considering what to do, so there is still a little bit of hope.

They also do pointed me on the manual that says water intrusion is not covered by warranty!

Edit: i think, i already got the answer on why the 2nd and not the 1st cylinder.
I guess, it depends on the outlet valve that's open at the moment of water intrussion

Last Edit: by r_255. Reason: found the answer on my own question

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 11 Oct 2016 12:43 #16

• Obiwan99
  • Thank you received: 1
Would boat insurance cover this failure?

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 13 Oct 2016 06:50 #17

• r_255
Well, that's is a good one and something i was thinking about to.... But I just heard that they are going to replace the complete motor part under warranty ( the top ).
I am not sure what made them decide this, but to me it still feels like a strange situation. Sure i am happy, but still wonder what i ever did wrong to break it like this.

At least now i do understand what did happen, but it still strikes me why..
For sure i'll have a good test drive with the mechanic before i accept the boat back as repaired.

So my 1st season is down with 16hrs on the clock, lets hope next season is going to be a better one as i rather be enthusiastic.
Thanks for all support!
The following user(s) said Thank You: seandebi

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 13 Oct 2016 13:52 #18

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I brought this to Bayliner's attention. I cannot speak to what happened after I did that, but regardless, it looks like this story has a happy ending.

DO NOT sign ANYTHING that removes their responsibility to fix it if it happens again.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 14 Oct 2016 13:52 #19

• r_255
Thanks for your efforts! Much appreciated!

To be honest i hope Bayliner invests some more on customer relations, as i really felt like telling them what did happen, but no one seems to interested.
Besides the motor issue they could learn a lot from their customers by just doing a survey. Just some kind of after sales would be in place and should improve the brand name.

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 20 Oct 2016 18:16 #20

• TigerBoat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Download_Complete wrote: I brought this to Bayliner's attention. I cannot speak to what happened after I did that, but regardless, it looks like this story has a happy ending.

We all like Happy Endings :cheer:

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 27 Oct 2016 06:50 #21

• r_255
Well to be honest i prefer a different kind of happy ending... and certainly not by a company who's name could be easily mistaken by gayliner :evil:

16 november the boat will be fixed, and 16 hrs of joy in my 1st season.

My 2 weeks of holiday full of sunshine where spoiled badly as i had invested my money in a brand new jobe omnia fun board, a set of waterski's with vests and suits, a o brian trampoline, wakeboard and even the 1st reservations where made to stay the night.
So should i be happy ?

Sure i am happy as the motor is beeing fixed, but:

16 hrs of fun / the price of a bayliner xl full options + 115 hp mercury = 4000 euro a hr and that is a very expensive happy ending..
i do know places where you can get them cheaper.... :silly:

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 17 Nov 2016 05:51 #22

• r_255
As it seem there is, or is going to be a exhaust modification.

That is what my mechanic mentioned, they told him: "to order the modification kit for the exhaust."
The following user(s) said Thank You: undieingbreed

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 17 Nov 2016 08:06 #23

• mctaggart
  • Bayliner 288 4.2 D-Tronic
  • Thank you received: 9
Wow i cant believe they are trying to make you pay it, did you pay by credit card by any chance, you will be covered by their insurance if you open a dispute over the purchase that the boat isnt fit for purpose.

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 12 Apr 2017 10:11 #24

• r_255
Hi every one, new season starts here and i do have a new top block.
After all they also did a exhaust modification..

I did not sign anything but still there is this 1400,- euro bill.... i am not going to pay !
i should get compensation for a missed summer and all the gray hairs they have given me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sncc3

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp 14 May 2017 08:18 #25

• r_255
Okay, i am done with Mercury.....

I did call with the head office ( EMEA ) in Belgium several times and the asked me to send a email. One week later i did not recieve anything and i did call again. No sorry we did not receive your email, but will check. Oh yes we did receive your email.
One week later, still no sign of life... so i tried to call again..... 5 times i had, sorry we are to bussy to pick up the phone, the 6th they where out of lunch and the 7th the guy in needed to talk to wasnt in place if could call back later. I tried another day and again the guy wasn't in and i placed a request to call me back.

6 Weeks later there isnt any sign of life of Brunswick EMEA, the dealer is waitng for his money and he made me an offer i am accepting, in the end i have to pay 1234,- euros and he throws in a veselview mobile. As i dont want the dealer wait to long for his money, i did accept the offer. On top of that i lost my dad last weekend, so there are other priorities going on in my life at the moment.

• Page:
Moderators: Download_Complete
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds