Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2015 Bayliner Element SE Review

2015 Bayliner Element SE Review 16 May 2015 22:02 #1

• MiMarcy
  • MiMarcy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 17
2015 Element SE 75hp Mercury,
Bimini, Cooler, Infinity Bluetooth Radio - 2 speakers, Humminbird 197c DI, Snap Trailering Cover

Review based on 450lbs of crew/gear

Planes in 2.5sec at 3/4 throttle, trimmed in all the way. Reaches 35mph at full throttle (mostly calm water) - but tach would be helpful for monitoring RPMs (husband says needed). Plenty of room to add one on the dash. Rides beautifully even for trolling. Runs and idles quiet - a plus when operating that Bluetooth radio (love ability to use Pandora with radio). While on that topic, the Infinity is clear sound at all volumes - worth the cost we paid.

In significant chop, 20mph is the limit before ride becomes uncomfortable, but in conditions she was designed for the ride is fun, smooth, and comfy! Love low windshield, open profile. Handled 2ft waves fine when at a reasonable speed.

Remains flat in turns and steering is average in responsiveness. (It's not a Vhull sport boat). Boat remains steady when boarding and exiting. Traction finish on the floor and in front of windshield helpful.

Cushions remain secure and are comfortable! Love conversation style seating in cockpit and sun pad in aft. Really like the minimalist use of accent color on SE cushions vs base model. Forward bow cushion is tricky (husband says difficult) to snap and makes accessing the anchor quite fiddle-y (husband says pain in the a**). Cushion lift-tabs are located on the front edge of cushion, opposed to the back edge on the 2014s we looked at - and this seems to minimize risk of fiberglass damage which occurred under two cushions of the 2014 while people at the dealership were taking them on and off in wrong direction, not realizing you have to fish the clips under the fiberglass lip before pushing cushion down. You do have to be aware of the clips when putting on and removing the cushions, but with a minimal amount of attention this type of damage should be a non-issue on the 2015. Helm wedge cushion will creep up depending on size of your bottom, hence bottom snap, but handy and comfortable, bringing Captain within a comfortable distance from the steering wheel. I also appreciate the upgraded steering wheel and switches on the SE.

Bimini great quality and rides well zipped up with very little bounce, if any. The port side bow hook-ring that holds the Bimini strap when set up, pokes into boat cover when snapped. Speaking of the cover - love custom snap cover over the mooring cover. In rain, water will pool on cover in two places - over port side aft cockpit seat and port stern. Plenty of ways to solve. Cover goes on much easier if you begin in the center of stern and work toward bow. Two poles, each snaps into cover from underneath. While on options - cooler isn't much but convenient storage design. You could also swap out for a portable live well in this area.

The 12 gallon fuel tank is removable; however don't plan on it as the weight of a full tank makes it unmanageable. Instead buy a good long funnel. Fuel-efficiency is great and should easily allow for a full day of boating.

Grab handles in all the right places and sun seats off stern, one with ladder, add built-in safety - and enjoyment while anchored at sand bar. While I thought I preferred the rubber rub rail on the standard Element, as soon as I saw this upgraded stainless rub rail in action I realized that I really preferred it against the wood docks at our lakes. You may want to consider adding an additional cleat or two in the deal.

Storage is ample under all seats. However long items such as an oar will only fit when carefully fished under helm seat. For quick access buy a retractable handle oar.

Four adults can enjoy spacious layout in comfort, 2 will feel like it's perfect in every way - boat certified up to 6 (cozy) people, 850lbs passenger weight.

75 hp motors for the Element have trim limiter kits installed by Bayliner. Ours wasn't working due to mis-installation. Programming instructions must be followed precisely. Without limiter, the motor will hit/damage stern fiberglass if trimmed up too far. Also, because motor cannot be trimmed up all the way, the tilt lock latch on motor is not usable. The tilt lock latch is not for trailering, but only for use during motor maintenance. Maintenance can still be performed without latch. Make sure your limiter is functioning, but for the life of your boat realize this is something you need to be aware of when trimming. The motor does tilt up plenty high enough for traveling and going in and out of the ramp without ever being in danger of hitting bottom. You can find the four-page installation instruction on the trim limiter kit which I posted elsewhere on this forum. If you are looking to support your motor during transit, I have found two options that fit this boat and motor. The first is the traditional transom saver; however the trailer's running lights will be in the way of mounting the transom saver bracket. The trailer company does have a modification kit so that you can mount this bracket, and the instructions for that are listed in the same thread as mentioned above. It is my understanding that transom savers transfer load and road shock to your motor which I don't feel is a good thing. M-y Wedge makes a great motor support for this motor called the Universal Wedge. You simply trim up your motor and pop it on the hydraulic piston rod and trim back down to snug it on. Great support and easy to store; also affordable.

The trailer has a folding tongue. Loading the boat at the ramp is quite easy with the M haul design, provided you don't put the trailer too far in the water. Adding side bunks would be helpful on windy days. Adding bunk glides to the bottom bunks would make the boat slide off much easier, allowing the trailer to stay further out of the water.

In all, package was $18,100 out the door tax and reg incl. This also included purchase and installation of the Infinity Bluetooth radio system and the Humminbird depth finder. Price may or may not reflect consideration for the significant problems we had at our dealership. It's hard to find a new boat that will hold this number of people at this price. I feel the shortcomings of this boat are far outweighed by its price, fun, and comfort features. Take care of your motor maintenance and boat, and you should have an affordable package to enjoy for a long time.

Oh - and she's really pretty! Go green!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 3270my, TommyJodi, danco_2, rynamic, nclexman, TigerBoat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Grateful for every day, but especially for the days on the water.
2015 Element SE 75hp
Humminbird Piranhamax 197c DI
Infinity Bluetooth Radio & Speakers

2015 Bayliner Element SE Review 17 May 2015 01:18 #2

• TommyJodi
  • Thank you received: 31
Very nice review. I really like the green exterior but could never live with the all white interior with 2 kids. The sand cushions hide dirt well. I have added a tach but have yet to take it out again I have just touched 40 MPH according to GPS and really wan't to see how many RPM's I'm turning. Maybe I can try a different size prop from the 13.25x17p I currently have. Smart tabs made a huge improvement in choppy water, where I used to be limited to around 20 MPH in a chop I can now cruise at 30-35 mph. I love my Lowrance =)

The following user(s) said Thank You: nclexman

2015 Bayliner 160 Element 75 HP, Smart tabs, Tach, Lowrance Elite-5 HDI.

2015 Bayliner Element SE Review 17 May 2015 01:30 #3

• MiMarcy
I'd be really interested in the RPMs full throttle - post that photo next time you're on the water :)

2015 Element SE 75hp

2015 Bayliner Element SE Review 17 May 2015 07:34 #4

• RGrew176
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335
Very nice and very informative review. I think you like your boat.

Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

2015 Bayliner Element SE Review 17 May 2015 09:18 #5

• Davidlyne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
If this is a brand new engine have you run it in yet? I dont think running it full throttle is good for a new engine until after the initial running in period. Maybe there is no run in period? Check your owners manual.

David
1999 Bayliner 1750 Capri. 3l Mercruiser Alpha

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

2015 Bayliner Element SE Review 17 May 2015 12:27 #6

• TommyJodi

Davidlyne wrote: If this is a brand new engine have you run it in yet? I dont think running it full throttle is good for a new engine until after the initial running in period. Maybe there is no run in period? Check your owners manual.

I'm not sure if that was directed at the OP myself or both of us. The break in period is 10 hours and does allow full throttle in short bursts. But either way I have close to 50 hours.

2015 Bayliner Element SE Review 17 May 2015 12:32 #7

• Davidlyne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82

TommyJodi wrote:

Davidlyne wrote: If this is a brand new engine have you run it in yet? I dont think running it full throttle is good for a new engine until after the initial running in period. Maybe there is no run in period? Check your owners manual.

I'm not sure if that was directed at the OP myself or both of us. The break in period is 10 hours and does allow full throttle in short bursts. But either way I have close to 50 hours.

It was a question for the op. No horse in ths race, just a reminder to check if there is a run in period for his engine. I know my Waverunner had certain requirements (hrs) before opening her up to full throttle when it was new.

David
1999 Bayliner 1750 Capri. 3l Mercruiser Alpha

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

2015 Bayliner Element SE Review 17 May 2015 12:46 #8

• TommyJodi
It's a very simple break in, first 2 hours vary the throttle and short burst to full for up to 1 minute every 10 minutes then next 8 hours no more than 5 minutes wide open at a time.

Last Edit: by TommyJodi.

2015 Bayliner Element SE Review 17 May 2015 20:10 #9

• TommyJodi

MiMarcy wrote: I'd be really interested in the RPMs full throttle - post that photo next time you're on the water :)

This was with 2 smaller adults and 2 kids in a moderate chop and fishing gear. At WOT we got to 5000 RPM's we were doing 37.5 MPH according to GPS. I have done slightly over 40 MPH on glass in 40* temperatures with just myself and son. It was 85* today. According to my math the day we hit 40 we should have been turning about 5400 RPM.

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: MiMarcy

2015 Bayliner Element SE Review 17 May 2015 21:09 #10

• MiMarcy
Well I see the break-in instructions are provided already, but yes, this was under those parameters and always good to note the break-in for your motor - thanks Davidlyne. Now I will have to read up on recommended RPMs and considering installing a tach. Enjoy summer everyone; I am eager to share these memories with family and friends.

2015 Element SE 75hp

2015 Bayliner Element SE Review 17 May 2015 21:56 #11

• TommyJodi
Mercury recommends 4500-5500 WOT RPM, preferably in the upper half of that. Trimming up the motor is good for a couple extra hundred RPM and MPH.

2015 Bayliner Element SE Review 18 May 2015 15:43 #12

• 3270my
  • Thank you received: 9
I was told these engines have a rev limiter design in. I believe the computer controls the RMP... This is the same engine block as the 90/115.... I think 2.1 Liter .

1987 3270MY, 135 Hino engines

2015 Element ( Lime Green) Limited Edition 75 HP Mercury.

Roger, Lake Saint Clair, Michigan
Fair Winds & Following Seas

2015 Bayliner Element SE Review 18 May 2015 16:08 #13

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
Yes that is correct... Mercury 2.1 4stroke 75/90/110.
75 WOT is 5500, rev limiter kicking in 6200...

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

2015 Bayliner Element SE Review 25 Sep 2015 19:52 #14

• jeffspalmcoast
  • Thank you received: 7
Did you install the Tach or have dealer install? How is it wired into the motor? This boat should have it as standard equipt and forget the speedo. Most GPS, even on my iphone, can tell me my speed. :whistle: ... Jeff

2016 Element 16' Merc 75 Hp OB
2003 Four Winns 190 220hp Volvo Penta I/O
1988 Sea Ray 21 Sorrento 200 Merc I/O
1980 Proline 17 Center Console Johnson 90 OB

2015 Bayliner Element SE Review 25 Sep 2015 22:24 #15

• TommyJodi
I installed it myself. I ran a wire to the main engine harness where it plugs in to the motor and tapped in to the tach lead (grey wire I think).

Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeffspalmcoast

2016 Bayliner Element Tachometer Install 11 Nov 2015 17:24 #16

• texteixeira10
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey TommyJodi I have the 2016 Bayliner Element with the Mercury 75HP Four Stroke and have the same tachometer gauge you have but not sure where about the engine to attached the sender wire to. Would it be possible for you to post a picture as to where to install the sender wire? Also what year is yours?

Thank you very much for your time. Cheers!

2016 Bayliner Element Tachometer Install 14 Nov 2015 22:23 #17

• TommyJodi
I disconnected the main wiring harness under the cowling and inserted my tach wire into the matching blank space on the plug that lines up with the grey tach signal cable. Basically added my own pin into the plug and ran the wire to the helm.

Tom

The following user(s) said Thank You: texteixeira10, TigerBoat

2016 Bayliner Element Tachometer Install 17 May 2016 13:01 #18

• TigerBoat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 34
Hey Tommy Jodi,

What tach is that, that you installed? The face and chrome/stainless bezel looks like a nice match.

Is the setup still working nicely?

2016 75hp Element 160 w/ Smart Tabs & Sponson Drains

2015 Bayliner Element SE Review 23 Jun 2016 20:26 #19

• nclexman
  • 2016 Element 75 Horse
  • Thank you received: 1
Tommy Jodi...... Great advice. I purchased the Element SE and had them add trim tabs. What a great ride. We are using it for tidal rivers and open ocean along the coast of Maine. The handling is awesome. Also added a tachometer and depth finder.
Thanks for the pictures and advice.

Last Edit: by nclexman. Reason: changed wording

2016 Bayliner Element Tachometer Install 26 Jun 2016 14:19 #20

• Element16
Good morning, I just joined the club website and really liked your tach install. I just purchased a 2016 Element 16 foot. I would like to install one also and you did a great install.where did you get the pin to install in the plug? Thank you, Ken
The following user(s) said Thank You: donbrosky

2015 Bayliner Element SE Review 04 Jul 2016 22:36 #21

• Element16

[attachment:1]image.jpeg[/Avatar

My tach install also fishfinder

Last Edit: by Element16. Reason: Add

2015 Bayliner Element SE Review 06 Aug 2016 01:59 #22

• donbrosky
  • Thank you received: 0
Like the tachometer. How did you connect ? send info. thanks

2015 Bayliner Element SE Review 11 Aug 2016 00:42 #23

• Element16
Hooked it up to the grey wire in engine harness.There are some pics in earlier posts

• Page:
Moderators: Download_Complete
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds