Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 05 Jan 2015 15:01 #1

• Download_Complete
  • Download_Complete's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I can't contain my affection for this boat, so I won't even try. Of all the boats that were on hand at Bayliner's press event this past September, this was the one I was most excited about. It resides in a very nice place in Bayliner's lineup - it's priced well, it's powered well, it's in one of the most popular and family-friendly sizes, and it has just enough features to make it a sensible choice for a day on the water. In short, this takes everything great about the original 16 foot Bayliner Element, and solves the main concerns we had with it by adding size and power, but without a significant amount of cost. I loved it.

The XL is, quite simply, an 18 foot version of the 16 foot Element. We're all familiar with this concept, Bayliner just took a good thing and added more roomy goodness. Most of the added length was placed in the aft cockpit. There's now plenty of room for two adults to lounge in comfort in addition to the standard seating amidships and up in the bow. To that end, it will come as no surprise to learn that the boat could be described as "roomy". Bayliner has a rich history in maximizing interior space, and the XL does not disappoint here. Where the 16 footer feels like an 18 foot boat inside, the XL feels like it's nearly a 20 foot long boat. Nobody is going to feel cramped in this thing.

Aside from the extra room, there's no overt tipoff that you are in anything other than an Element. The seating plan and helm station are exactly the same, and the equipment and options are the same as well. The XL is literally what it implies...a bigger Element. I obtained a leggy brunette model to show off exactly what I mean:

This fact raises an interesting question - performance. There were two main concerns of the original Element when it debuted - one was that it was a smidge too small, and the other is the power, or lack thereof. There are two engine choices with the Element - a 90 hp Mercury Four Stroke, and a 115 hp Four Stroke. Bayliner had both of those Element XLs for sampling. One was a black hull'ed 90 hp with a fishing package, and the other was a totally loaded red Sport with a 115 on it. Naturally, we grabbed the keys for the Sport and hit the water.

Once out in the channel, the XL wasted no time in competely destroying our original impressions of the Element. Recall that the original Element was....well, how can we put this...."okay". It was able to plane, it had a top speed, it was fast enough to put a breeze through your hair, and that was about it. "Acceptable" comes to mind. The XL with a 115 on it is a veritable rocket ship. Advance the throttle quickly and occupants are pinned to the seats. The threshold to plane is dealt with in under 3 seconds, and the low seating position and center of gravity combines to make the boat feel extremely racy. The XL will stretch all the way to 42 mph, while being highly sensitive to trim. Handling is light, quick witted, and very easy to handle. Turn the boat hard over at speed, and it will slide and ventilate the prop, in a very safe manner. After spending an hour at the wheel, I kept feeling that a 15 year old (or a 15 year old at heart?) could have a really great time at the wheel of one of these boats. I know I was ready to bolt it to the back of my car and try to take it home with me.

A good measure of any boat is how well the base boat does the job. If the base boat is satisfying, the uplevel power option will generally just be more of a good thing. So once we docked the red XL, we immediately switched to the base 90 hp XL, expecting to possibly be underwhelmed. But a funny thing happened. What surprised me most was just how well the 90 performed. Time to plane was only half a heartbeat behind the 115, and top speed was just shy of 40 mph. The difference between them deals primarily with the greater torque of the 115, making it generally more responsive across all RPMs. Here's a boat where you could easily justify staying with the smaller engine, and still get an absolutely thrilling little sport boat. Unlike other boats where the smaller engine option is merely okay, here we have a situation where the base package provides more performance than expected for pretty much everyone.

Build quality continues to impress, especially for the price. A solid fiberglass floor and only one well designed layout is available. Seat bases appear to be composite and not wood based. Rather than putting in a fully adjustible captain's chair, Bayliner provides a "Wedge" snap-in cushion that performs the function of moving the pilot forward without the components or complexity of an adjustible helm chair. My complaints with the helm station remains the overly simplistic gauge package, and also the fuel tanks continue to be carry on, portable units. While I can understand the business reason for doing so, an 18 foot boat really should have a built in tank.

Speaking of price, this boat hits right at the sweet spot of the market. Load the XL up with the Sport package and the 115 and you will be right around $25,000. Skip the 115 and you will pocket a few grand and still get a thrilling little boat. Its a solid value, and a lot of testers with us were all thinking this was literaly a perfect bullseye for the emerging Millenial demographic.

Bayliner is trying very hard to appeal to newer, younger boating families. The XL is another in many steps towards that journey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg Tomamichel, MBmaster, Sjelias30

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 05 Jan 2015 18:28 #2

• StormPanic
  • Thank you received: 1
Excellent, mine (115HP sport) is being built at the factory as we speak. Spring can't get here fast enough.....

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 05 Jan 2015 20:11 #3

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

StormPanic wrote: Excellent, mine (115HP sport) is being built at the factory as we speak. Spring can't get here fast enough.....

I promise you will love it. Very spirited little boat.

I practically begged Bayliner to let me have the red one. Actually, I literally did beg them for it.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 05 Jan 2015 20:44 #4

• StormPanic
Mine's the black with the desert tan interior + every other option my wife saw in the brochure :) Can't wait....

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 06 Jan 2015 09:39 #5

• RGrew176
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335
Nice review and we all can tell you love the boat.

Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 23 Feb 2015 16:52 #6

• SlipAway
Interesting vessel

2006 215BR 5.0L V8
N. Michigan
Last Edit: by SlipAway.

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 23 Feb 2015 16:53 #7

• SlipAway
Nice review

2006 215BR 5.0L V8
N. Michigan

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 23 Feb 2015 23:05 #8

• beckman2713
  • Thank you received: 29
Thanks for the review..a big advantage with the new models is the folding tower for us garage owners..

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 24 Feb 2015 01:50 #9

• StormPanic
Got a good look at the folding tower this weekend at the NE boat show plus the family finally got to see the xl up close. Had to convince the wife previously with her having only seen the 16 footer.

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 25 Sep 2015 16:53 #10

• natejg12
  • Thank you received: 0
I have the Red sport package and my family and I love it. Fit 7 people comfortably. Top speed was about 28 on a choppy lake with all 7. Have all the filler cushions and they make a great lounge area.

Last Edit: by natejg12.

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 26 Sep 2015 03:04 #11

• natejg12
  • Thank you received: 0
Does anyone know what is make and model of the trailer the element xl seats on I would like to how much the trailer weights and what kind of spare should be bought for it.

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 03 Oct 2015 02:45 #12

• Lpeeco
I purchased an Element Xl with a 115 hp this May for use in South Florida. I couldn't find many good reviews of the boat before purchase but we are thrilled with it. We have 3 kids from ages 4 - 7 and have had 4 adults and 5 small kids on the boat at one time.

The boat pulls a tube or skier out of the water very quickly even when its full of people. It's also great for parking at the sandbar in shallow water where bigger boats can't go.

We have had it out in the ocean in 2-3 ft seas at 20 - 25 mph and it handled it WAY better than I expected. It was a little wet ride but we didn't feel unsafe at anytime. The only problem in 2-3 ft seas at 25 mph is it occasionally hits a wave hard and if you have a bad back it would be a little uncomfortable.

If you get an element, learn the boat, its limits, and how it handles the wakes of the cruise ships going out of the port and you'll have a great boat.

I will say the boat, like all boats, comes with its compromises but our personal goal was to get a simple low maintenance boat (less things to break), a boat that easy to clean, and one that could fit in a standard 2 car garage (thank god that the sports tower folds).

If you want luxury with bells and whistles, look elsewhere, but if you want to get on the water with comparatively minimal effort and $ then go for it!

PS. The only things I don't like are 1) the water that accumulates in the compartment that holds the gas tank which you have to remember to towel out after use (easy but inconvenient) 2) the bilge doesn't come with a float switch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: natejg12

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 22 Feb 2016 17:40 #13

• Lpeeco
I have gotten a few private messages regarding the length while trailered. My bayliner element XL is just under 21' while trailered (this is with the motor tilled up on a transom saver) I have a 22' garage and back it straight in. Of course the trailer tongue is folded which is about 1" past the bow.

Still love my boat.

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 22 Feb 2016 19:03 #14

• Waterdowg
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 64

Lpeeco wrote: I purchased an Element Xl with a 115 hp this May for use in South Florida. I couldn't find many good reviews of the boat before purchase but we are thrilled with it. We have 3 kids from ages 4 - 7 and have had 4 adults and 5 small kids on the boat at one time.

The boat pulls a tube or skier out of the water very quickly even when its full of people. It's also great for parking at the sandbar in shallow water where bigger boats can't go.

We have had it out in the ocean in 2-3 ft seas at 20 - 25 mph and it handled it WAY better than I expected. It was a little wet ride but we didn't feel unsafe at anytime. The only problem in 2-3 ft seas at 25 mph is it occasionally hits a wave hard and if you have a bad back it would be a little uncomfortable.

If you get an element, learn the boat, its limits, and how it handles the wakes of the cruise ships going out of the port and you'll have a great boat.

I will say the boat, like all boats, comes with its compromises but our personal goal was to get a simple low maintenance boat (less things to break), a boat that easy to clean, and one that could fit in a standard 2 car garage (thank god that the sports tower folds).

If you want luxury with bells and whistles, look elsewhere, but if you want to get on the water with comparatively minimal effort and $ then go for it!

PS. The only things I don't like are 1) the water that accumulates in the compartment that holds the gas tank which you have to remember to towel out after use (easy but inconvenient) 2) the bilge doesn't come with a float switch.

What bilge pump is in your boat? My 2016 215 DB also does not have an float switch. I have this pump. www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/T1200-Tsunami-Bilge-Pump I have been shopping around for a float and found this one that is made for the above pump. www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/digi...e-switch---s3-series Seems simple to install and plan on doing so when the weather warms up. Here is the Product manual that shows it attached to the pump. www.attwoodmarine.com/userfiles/store/pr...09/a-s3switch-08.pdf

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
1992 Johnson 40HP.

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 22 Feb 2016 19:57 #15

• metz123
  • Thank you received: 12
The 2016 boats come with a $40 option for an automatic bilge pump. I'm assuming that this implies a setting for the bilge pump that I can leave on when I leave the boat on a buoy that will pump as needed (in case a summer squall dumps a lot of rain). Yes?

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 23 Feb 2016 12:21 #16

• Waterdowg
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 64

metz123 wrote: The 2016 boats come with a $40 option for an automatic bilge pump. I'm assuming that this implies a setting for the bilge pump that I can leave on when I leave the boat on a buoy that will pump as needed (in case a summer squall dumps a lot of rain). Yes?

Yes I saw that. I purchased my boat off the lot. If I knew I would have made them install one like I did with the depth gauge. I just figured all new boat would have it. When I bought my Sea Ray in 2002 it had it. I learned the hard way it had no float. We had a lot of rain over 2 days. I went to use the boat, I opened the engine compartment to help vent and it was full of water even though I have a cover. Lucky for me it did not get to engine.

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
1992 Johnson 40HP.

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 23 Feb 2016 16:42 #17

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

metz123 wrote: The 2016 boats come with a $40 option for an automatic bilge pump. I'm assuming that this implies a setting for the bilge pump that I can leave on when I leave the boat on a buoy that will pump as needed (in case a summer squall dumps a lot of rain). Yes?

No. Auto bilge pumps have a float switch that are hardwired to the battery. If the water reaches a certain level the float kicks the switch on.

Here's a wiring schematic for what you would expect - a 3 way switch, but on my boat I had ON/OFF, and the float was hardwired to the battery. It eliminated the possibility of accidently leaving the bilge pump off.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 23 Feb 2016 18:13 #18

• metz123
So the settings are either off or automatic on the XL? or are the settings manual (on) and automatic (off)? where the toggle switch set to off means let the float control the pump and the setting on means manually control the pump?

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 23 Feb 2016 19:22 #19

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

metz123 wrote: So the settings are either off or automatic on the XL? or are the settings manual (on) and automatic (off)? where the toggle switch set to off means let the float control the pump and the setting on means manually control the pump?

It depends how it was wired. If the switch is marked ON/OFF then I would assume the float is hard wired to the battery.

If it's a three position switch with an AUTOMATIC setting, then you have to manually set it to AUTOMATIC in order for it to work. This is, I feel, less safe.

Someone would need to snap a pic of a 2016 Element XL, or ask the dealer.

In either event, even so, it's not hard to rewire a bilge pump.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 11 Mar 2016 20:33 #20

• Pegasus_01
  • Thank you received: 17
Hi Guys,

Nice and helpful review of the XL. I've just ordered mine but with a few modifications. I'm in France and as the EU model is only certified for 8 POB and not 9 like in the US, so they offer an option which basically turns the aft facing midship seat into a lockable bulkhead. Very useful in my opinion. Plus, as an added bonus, because of this modification, you can get a proper windscreen installed on both sides. Have a look:

I've ordered mine with the sports package, 115 Mercury EFI, extra 6 gal tank and filler cushions and mp3 player. I chose the dark blue hull with matching interior (blue and white). Last modification I did (but that's because I just I can't stand not having engine info) is I added the MercMonitor system. Extra bonus, it tells you how to optimize the trim/rpm to lower your fuel burn.

Should be arriving early May. Will post pics when she hits the waters of Lake Geneva ;)

Nick

This message has attachments images.

2016 Bayliner Element XL with Mercury 115 four stroke Pro XS
Geneva, Switzerland
Last Edit: by Pegasus_01.

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 17 May 2016 21:32 #21

• xxtoon
I'd like to know if the 90HP can plane easily with 4 adults and 4 children. I found a 115 for about 1900 more. I'd love to save the money. But i don't want to do it if i'll regret it.

2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp Mercury Fourstroke

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 18 May 2016 01:05 #22

• StormPanic
If you are going to load it down with 8 people often, I would definitely recommend the 115hp.

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 18 May 2016 14:16 #23

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

xxtoon wrote: I'd like to know if the 90HP can plane easily with 4 adults and 4 children. I found a 115 for about 1900 more. I'd love to save the money. But i don't want to do it if i'll regret it.

It has no problems with the 90, it just runs out of breath sooner. But 4 adults and 4 kids might be taxing it.

I would save money elsewhere and spend it on the engine upgrade. The XL runs so well with the 115 that it's nearly perfect. There are a lot of "options" on the XL that are marked up and can be added later on, such as the additional fuel tank and the cooler.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 19 May 2016 20:34 #24

• Pegasus_01
  • Thank you received: 17
For those interested, I'm picking up my new XL this Saturday and I ended up taking the new Mercury 115 Pro XS (Not the Optimax 2 stroke, the 4 stroke). I'll be posting my impressions as soon as the run-in is completed and I've had a good go.
On paper the new Pro XS sounds like the bees and knees. We'll see how true that is.

Nick

2016 Bayliner Element XL with Mercury 115 four stroke Pro XS
Geneva, Switzerland

Review: 2015 Bayliner Element XL 09 Nov 2016 19:05 #25

• blackmax175

Pegasus_01 wrote: For those interested, I'm picking up my new XL this Saturday and I ended up taking the new Mercury 115 Pro XS (Not the Optimax 2 stroke, the 4 stroke). I'll be posting my impressions as soon as the run-in is completed and I've had a good go.
On paper the new Pro XS sounds like the bees and knees. We'll see how true that is.

Nick

I am considering getting the Bayliner XL with the Merc 115HP 4 stroke pro xs, I talked the the dealer and he said one of his employees has the 115 pro xs and loves it,

I would be adding the SC1000 Merc monitor onto the console.

Just curious on how fast your speed trials went.

Last Edit: by blackmax175.
  • Page:
Moderators: Download_Complete
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds