• Page:

TOPIC: Cooking instructions! 101

Cooking instructions! 101 27 May 2007 14:17 #1

• 2850Bounty
  • 2850Bounty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
Some of you may agree with this.... When I first found that I could cook some (not real well, but OK), I realized that the single most important part of it was getting everything to finish at the same time without over cooking some and under cooking the other.... and, or course what to add and what not to add. Once I learned this, I started enjoying doing it. It is a fun thing to do with a great reward, (usually). Cooking on board is even better!

For example: I could never get my steak to fry up at the same time as my lettuce. Then I learned that you don't fry lettuce. :hammer (I don't really fry my lettuce!.... any more!)

Or things like Broccoli and Cauliflower that take just a minute or you've made moosh out of them.

Anyway, what tricks can you share with me? Does/Don'ts? ........... Still learning!

OH,.... Another question: No matter how careful we are with our spices and the containers (putting the lid back on, etc.), by end of season there is enough moisture in the bottles that they cake up over the winter. Any of you have a good suggestion for this? Any trick containers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Cooking instructions! 101 27 May 2007 14:43 #2

• Stratocaster
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Caribbean livin'
  • Thank you received: 25
Rick, put the spice shakers in a Ziploc bag and keep in a drawer. Works for me for years now.

Here's another solution related to your question about finishing at the same time. You're cooking steaks for everyone, and of course one wants rare, two medium rare, one medium and two well-done. Sheesh, what to do?

Almost everyone I know puts the steaks on and removes them to a plate as they reach the desired doneness. Not me.

I put the well-dones on first and the rares on last. They all come off at the same time, everyone eats at the same time, and rare steaks don't cool off while waiting for the well-dones to cook. Works like a charm.

Mike P
The Bahamas
Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.
Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

Cooking instructions! 101 27 May 2007 16:33 #3

• Sunfish
  • Thank you received: 0
A few "don'ts" as my 30 year old daughter/20 year old son remind me of constantly:

Make sure the pasta is boiled long enough-the crackly spaghetti is not that wonderful, even when you are four.

When using a waffle maker, when you open it, 1/2 the waffle should not stick to each side with wet stringy things in between. The butter and syrup does not compensate for this.

The old style aluminum tv dinners can be cooked to perfection in 10 minutes in the coals of a campfire when you forget plates. Wish they still made them, I miss them, they don't.

As a single father for many years, the kids were my guinea pigs for cooking, boating, camping, hunting & fishing expeditions. Fortunately my wife Mary came into our life and saved us-ha-ha!

Mike E. "Sunfish"
The water was so shallow, the fish were running aground!

Cooking instructions! 101 27 May 2007 21:48 #4

• overtime39
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I agree with Strat have a game plan on what you need to put on first but I also try and determine where on the grill to put each item (usually the heat isn't even). Bonus tip wrapping shrimp with a slice of bacon adds flavor and keeps the shrimp from burning while cooking your kabobs grill til the bacon is done. :arr

Cooking instructions! 101 29 May 2007 15:52 #5

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ziplock baggy sounds like the answer. Thanks.

Well, getting all to finish at the same time has been mastered by now.... (was joking about the lettuce!)

Good idea on the steaks, Mike ..... I have to vary that because we often have room for only a few steaks at a time (Force barrel type gas grill) .... but we make due!

Sometimes we will cook certain things ahead of time (save time and propane).... I'll bet some of you do also. Depends on the trip.

Kris, I'll try the bacon idea one of these times.... that sounds good!

Thanks, all! :arr

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Cooking instructions! 101 29 May 2007 16:55 #6

• Stratocaster
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Caribbean livin'
  • Thank you received: 25
Another awesome product is Uncle Ben's Bistro Express rice. It comes in a sealed pouch, all you do is tear the corner and microwave for 2 minutes. Perfect rice for 2 people. It keeps forever in the cupboard.

Mike P
The Bahamas
Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.
Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

Cooking instructions! 101 29 May 2007 19:33 #7

• kltjs
I tell guests on board that this is not Burger King, you don't get your way. You get it my way...:kidding My wife has a frozen dish she buys that has all of the pasta, meat, veggies and sauce in one bag. Enough for 2. I think the name of it is Bertoli.

Kevin & Toni
Mojo
2006 Bayliner 265
5.7L BIII
Chesapeake Yachting Center
Frog Mortor Creek, MD

Can't We All Just Get Along?????

Cooking instructions! 101 29 May 2007 20:51 #8

• Salmon Troller
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 5
For me, it's a balance between different ways to prep food and how many I'm trying to feed. Let's see, the coffee maker is done, it can coast and we can run the toaster. The hash browns are done, toss them in a bowl & fry the eggs quick. The crock pot is useful as is pre-cooking & then reheating in the microwave. BTW, never, repeat, never try to cook bacon on the open grill of a Magma Kettle, it was not pretty.
Jim

2005 Bayliner 289 "Jake's Wake"

Cooking instructions! 101 31 May 2007 13:03 #9

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Uncle Ben's Bistro Express rice? I'll have to try that one, Mike. Rice takes quite a while to cook, so that would be a real plus.

Jim, I'm dying to hear about the Bacon. Come on! A hint anyway!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Cooking instructions! 101 31 May 2007 19:57 #10

• Salmon Troller
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 5

2850Bounty;32931 wrote: Jim, I'm dying to hear about the Bacon. Come on! A hint anyway!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Have you ever seen how they burn off excess natural gas on a well head?

2005 Bayliner 289 "Jake's Wake"

Cooking instructions! 101 13 Jun 2007 13:22 #11

• tbear
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3
This is one of those "my mother used to" hints, but if your spice shaker isn't the disposable kind, she either put in some white rice or oyster crackers in the shaker. They will absord the excess moisture. As for the cooking/timing...lots of trial and error, but the errors still taste great!:arr

Cooking instructions! 101 15 Jun 2007 16:03 #12

• JohnL
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Rick,
I'm really beginning to wonder about you.... First it was artichokes, now its cauliflower and brocolli. Can eggplant be far behind? Maybe it's a Volvo thing?

Blue Highways
93 2452

Cooking instructions! 101 20 Jun 2007 15:23 #13

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Rick, I'm really beginning to wonder about you.... First it was artichokes, now its cauliflower and brocolli. Can eggplant be far behind? Maybe it's a Volvo thing?

Yep, it's a Volvo thing! When we aren't spending our time working on our Volvo's, we do strange things! LOL

BTW: It's soon to be Okra time again. Yee Ha!

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Cooking instructions! 101 26 Nov 2007 22:42 #14

• The_Sea_Word
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I'll second the rice in the salt shaker suggestion- I'm new to Bayliners but grew up on boats, and Dad was a liveaboard for a few decades so BTDT with the salt- a trick I like is to add a good sized ball bearing to shakers, this "medicine ball" works like the marble in a can of spray paint, it lets you break up any caked stuff in the shaker without having to slam it on the table. It also lets you know how full the shaker is, which can be handy.

I have a tip for corn or most fresh vegetables on an alcohol stove or grill: wrap it in a damp, clean rag or a few layers of wet paper towel, then foil. Cook for 8 minutes total on an alcohol stove, flipping twice. anything you preseason it with will get cooked in.

Ciao.
-Will

Cooking instructions! 101 27 Nov 2007 02:48 #15

• oh_wells
Just coming off of our first season and I'll admit to doing the bacon thing, too....at Friday Harbor nonetheless! At least my husband was manning the grill...but just following what I told him to do!

1996 2858
"Oh Wells"

Cooking instructions! 101 28 Nov 2007 23:14 #16

• Blues46
I will second Strat's recomendation on Uncle Ben's rice packs, they are awsome. The Admiral will do the Spanish Rice, already prepared Taco Meat, Raw Onions, Mexican Cheese, Hot Sauce, and whatever else "works" on a soft taco shell. Wrap it up, nuke it, and enjoy!

It's going to be a long winter:arr

Cooking instructions! 101 30 Dec 2007 08:00 #17

• carverdriver
I like to make spaghetti sauce, freeze it in a Seal-A-Meal bag and store in the refer or an ice chest. It works well as "ice" in the ice chest. After it thaws, just boil the bag in a pan. One year when my son and I went on a long backpacking hike I dehydrated the sauce in my fruit dehydrator. After setting up camp, I just added water, heated and mixed with the pasta. Wonderful after a long day of hiking.

Use a Seal-A-Meal for most sauces: stroganoff, taco meat and sauce, etc.

I purchased a round pizza pan that fits perfectly within my BBQ. I purchased an Appian Way pizza mix at the grocery store along with extra peperoni. The Admiral doesn't like pepperoni, so I nuked some diced chicken breast for her. Half pepperoni, half chicken pizza done to perfection. Cooked on the BBQ on low-medium.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds