Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: home brew

home brew 30 Sep 2012 02:29 #1

• bradner
  • bradner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
just curious who makes there own booze,i mean at home not u brew any good recipies, thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

home brew 01 Oct 2012 22:37 #2

• TedB_BC
  • Thank you received: 1
I have quite a few good ones. How are you brewing, from kits or all grain. I have been brewing all grain for years now but still have ones to tweak the brew kits. What style beer do you like (I know, silly question). Let me know and I'll see what I can dig up for you.

There are old skippers and bold skippers, but no old bold skippers!
Be safe.

home brew 02 Oct 2012 00:11 #3

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
I keg brew my beers. Don't like bottles. So easy to fill those stainless steel 6 gallon syrup containers... I have a few favorites. I prefer porters or dark beers in winter and spring and ales in the summer. My favorite is a scotch ale that I add 1 oz of caraway seed and dry hop it in a strainer bag. My brews are made with various hops, malts and grains (Barley for ales). I use a commercial yeast depending on what kind of beer I want to make.

My garage has a small apt fridge that holds up to two 6 gallon containers. I have my CO on the outside and going into the fridge and a tap coming out of the door. Works very well. On a weekend, I'll purchase carbonated water in 2 ltr bottles and replace the water with my beer. Great way to transport the beer for a weekend trip. Easier to keep cold too.

My CO is normally at 30PSI the first three days then I drop it down to 5-8 PSI for pouring...

Scotch Ale with a very light Rye flavor:
1 oz caraway seed (dry hop)
[SIZE=-1]7 lbs Light Malt Extract[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]1 lb Brown Sugar[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]1 lb Crystal Malt 20L[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]1/4 lb Chocolate Malt[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]2 oz Fuggles 12HBUs(Boiling)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]1 pk Wyeast Scottish Ale Yeast 1728

Second recipe:
1 oz caraway seed (Dry hopping)
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]7 lbs Amber Malt Extract[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]3 lbs Dry Light Malt Extract[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2 oz Roasted Barley[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]3 oz Fuggles Hops 18HBUs(Boiling)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1 pk Wyeast Scottish Ale Yeast 1728[/SIZE]

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

home brew 02 Oct 2012 16:05 #4

• nwboater62
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Any recipes for a nice Honey Blonde? The kind you brew and drink that is.

Ted G
81 2555 Saratoga Sun Bridge
5.7 Volvo 290 DP OD

home brew 02 Oct 2012 17:44 #5

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

nwboater62;723986 wrote: Any recipes for a nice Honey Blonde? The kind you brew and drink that is.

This one is great...

[SIZE=-1]4 lbs Extra Light Dry Malt Extract[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]3 lbs Fireweed Honey (raw honey straight from the hive) can find easy on amazon...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]1/2 lb Honey Malt [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1 1/2 oz Cascade Hops 10 HBUs (Boiling) 60 mins[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1/2 oz Cascade Hops (Aroma) 1 min[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Wyeast 1056 American Ale[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]For Bottling:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1 1/4 cup Dry Malt Extract Or 3/4 cup Corn sugar[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1] Add cracked Honey Malt to 1 1/2 gals of cold water and bring to boil. When the boiling starts, remove the grain. Add the Extra Light Dry Malt Extract and Fireweed Honey then bring to a boil again. Add 1 1/2 oz Cascade Hops. Boil for 59 mins. Add 1/2 oz of Cascade Hops and boil for 1 min. Sparge the hops with cold water then add the wort to the fermenter with cold water to make 5 gals. Add yeast when the temp reaches 70º. Add yeast when the temp reaches 70º. Ferment at 65º for 5 days or until fermentation slows. Rack to a secondary fermenter. Let it age 2 weeks in secondary, then bottle or keg. For bottling, use 1 1/4 cup of dry malt extract boiled with 2 cups of water added in the bottling bucket.[/SIZE]

Doug ;}
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

home brew 03 Oct 2012 09:23 #6

• bobsyiruncle
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 14

bradner;723487 wrote: just curious who makes there own booze,i mean at home not u brew any good recipies, thanks

Making wine is faster, easier and more bullet proof. Laws in our province allow the sale of cheap concentrates which can be moved across borders and made anywhere including on the boat. Yes you have to acquire a taste for it but at 90 cents a bottle I like it With summer heat, I can produce a batch in about 12 days. It is not perfect but at 13% alcohol , it works Higher price concentrates make better tasting wine but all have roughly the same alcohol. I have made beer but with the price and convenience of US beer when I am stateside, unless I want a particular flavour, I cannot make a case for brewing any on my own. I am just not that fussy but I applaud those who have the skill and time to pursue that vocation!

3888 with Hinos

home brew 04 Oct 2012 20:24 #7

• nwboater62
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Thanks Doug, I'm going to try your recipe this winter.

Ted

Ted G
81 2555 Saratoga Sun Bridge
5.7 Volvo 290 DP OD

home brew 23 Oct 2012 17:18 #8

• kellynm
  • Thank you received: 0

bradner;723487 wrote: just curious who makes there own booze,i mean at home not u brew any good recipies, thanks

Bradner,

Do you brew @ home? I've been doing it for several years and currently use a method called BIAB (brew in a bag). It's all grain and quite easy.

I use a software programs called Beersmith... if you need any recipes calculations, I'd be willing to help you out...

KC :-)

RDWHAHB

1986 Bayliner Capri 1950
5.7L AQ260/275 Volvo Penta

home brew 13 Sep 2013 16:34 #9

• SurfaceIntvl
  • Sean
  • Thank you received: 2
Doug,

Are the syrup containers cheaper than the $500 or so that they want for a kegging kit? I'm tired of bottle bombs going off. I now store my aging bottles in coolers, just in case.

-Sean

Sean O. Stanwood, WA

Surface Interval, La Conner Marina
1991 2556 Command Bridge
Mercruiser 5.7
SEI SE116 Drive

"Divers live for bottom time. All else is Surface Interval."

home brew 13 Sep 2013 17:36 #10

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

SurfaceIntvl;810722 wrote: Doug,

Are the syrup containers cheaper than the $500 or so that they want for a kegging kit? I'm tired of bottle bombs going off. I now store my aging bottles in coolers, just in case.

-Sean

$15-$25 per container but that was before the metal recycling rage. My loco guy get $35 for a newer looking one. If you have a soda plant nearby, ask them about used ones...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

home brew 13 Sep 2013 17:40 #11

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
I don't bottle any more because of bombs... A CO2 bottle and lines/valves to carbonat run about $100. Go to your local welding supply dealer and ask about refilled used co2 bottles and valves. eBay is good for taps and beer lines. I think you could be in biz under $250 tops

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

home brew 13 Sep 2013 18:04 #12

• SurfaceIntvl
  • Sean
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks Doug!

Brad,

Home brewing is great, although I am pretty sure I would never attempt it on board a boat. :)

I would suggest a book called How to Brew. ( http://www.amazon.com/How-Brew-Everything-Right-First/dp/0937381888/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379095397&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+brew ) Even if you start from an ingredient kit, the instructions rarely tell you what you SHOULDN'T be doing, such as stirring the wort during the cooldown.

There are many great starter brewing kits out there, but if you have the means I would at least add a glass carboy and a wort chiller. A yeast kit is also great so you don't have a surprise dead fermentation.

Starting from an ingredient kit or three is wise since they tend to allow predictable results. If you get a "Fat Tire Clone" kit and what you make tastes absolutely nothing like Fat Tire, then you did something wrong. Been there, bought the book, figured it out. The book also contains tons of recipes.

Happy Brewing...

-Sean

Sean O. Stanwood, WA

Surface Interval, La Conner Marina
1991 2556 Command Bridge
Mercruiser 5.7
SEI SE116 Drive

"Divers live for bottom time. All else is Surface Interval."

home brew 14 Sep 2013 00:19 #13

• driz
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 62

Go Aweigh2452;810761 wrote: I don't bottle any more because of bombs... A CO2 bottle and lines/valves to carbonat run about $100. Go to your local welding supply dealer and ask about refilled used co2 bottles and valves. eBay is good for taps and beer lines. I think you could be in biz under $250 tops

Don't be surprised if welding suppliers won't even talk to you about used bottles. Anything you can buy from them unless it's one of the very few odd Mom n Pop places have bottles either wayyyyy overpriced for the small ones and will only rent the big ones. Your best bet is hitting the beverage distributors. You might even get lucky checking at the local scrap yard and pick some up for near scrap price with just dings and age on them needing new seals ect. Last I looked they sold them online too as well as all the seals and parts. The things really are made to last a lifetime and don't actually wear out just get beat up in handling and transport.

home brew 14 Sep 2013 00:31 #14

• crowder.dr
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 116
What a great thread . I have been thinking about home brewing both wine and beer as one of my winter projects this year is to build a bar and wine cellar in the basement this year. I was looking into a keg system, the various options and what beer I could dispense. Doug maybe this topic would make a great new section to the forum.

home brew 14 Sep 2013 02:01 #15

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

driz;810813 wrote: Don't be surprised if welding suppliers won't even talk to you about used bottles. Anything you can buy from them unless it's one of the very few odd Mom n Pop places have bottles either wayyyyy overpriced for the small ones and will only rent the big ones. Your best bet is hitting the beverage distributors. You might even get lucky checking at the local scrap yard and pick some up for near scrap price with just dings and age on them needing new seals ect. Last I looked they sold them online too as well as all the seals and parts. The things really are made to last a lifetime and don't actually wear out just get beat up in handling and transport.

Well maybe it's town specific but here I went to my local welding supply store and bought the set up with all regulators on a used bottle. When I run low, I bring the bottle with regulators hooked up and they do a swap for another bottle and reinstall my regulator and make sure they don't leak. I did drop one years ago and the regulator failed. Brought it back, bought a new regulator and they gave me a refilled bottle free. I think the regulator and guage set me back $35...

When I get back from boating, I will post what one needs for a set up...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds