Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: never buy 1 pound propane bottles again

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 20 Sep 2014 06:16 #51

• green650
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Go Aweigh2452 wrote: Something to consider when storing either new or refilled pounders is to put them in a gallon zip lock and squeeze most of the air out. This way one can monitor for leaks visually. The extreme would be to vacuum seal them. Either way this works well in a saltwater environment and slows coorosion as well...

That's an excellent idea.
I leave mine...or used to...under the sink in the cockpit of my 32xx. Well I don't know if its the rain or sea air moisture but they were corroded and bulging. I wont be refilling those ones anymore. They were about three years old and refilled several times.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 20 Sep 2014 07:29 #52

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
I always thought the empty 1 pounders made good targets for my AR..........

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 20 Sep 2014 08:08 #53

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
The full ones are even better. Just be ready to duck and cover... :lol:

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 20 Sep 2014 11:59 #54

• Stratocaster
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Caribbean livin'
  • Thank you received: 25

Go Aweigh2452 wrote: Something to consider when storing either new or refilled pounders is to put them in a gallon zip lock and squeeze most of the air out. This way one can monitor for leaks visually. The extreme would be to vacuum seal them. Either way this works well in a saltwater environment and slows coorosion as well...

This is exactly what I did ever since owning a boat. I also took the extra step of storing the Ziploc'd cylinders in either the galley sink or the cockpit sink. That way any vapors are more likely to go overboard through the drain.

In 15 years, I never had a single bag inflate due to a leak, which I thought was pretty weird...come on, not even one??

Mike P
The Bahamas
Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.
Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 20 Sep 2014 12:38 #55

• Brian Yeates
  • Thank you received: 1
just wondering how many of you that are doing this are licensed to fill or work with propane. I know you may only end up blowing yourself up BUT you could take someone else - a stranger or a loved one - with you. This practice is not only unsafe, it is probably against the law. just saying that for the cost of those little bottles - I pick them up on sale all the time at 3 for $10 - it is not worth the risk

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 20 Sep 2014 21:35 #56

• Davidlyne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82

Brian Yeates wrote: just wondering how many of you that are doing this are licensed to fill or work with propane. I know you may only end up blowing yourself up BUT you could take someone else - a stranger or a loved one - with you. This practice is not only unsafe, it is probably against the law. just saying that for the cost of those little bottles - I pick them up on sale all the time at 3 for $10 - it is not worth the risk

+ 1. I think this practice is dangerous. The manufacturer has a warning label stating not to be refilled. There is a reason for this warning. So when someone reads on here how to do it, then blows themselves up, who from this site is going to take responsibility. I think in the interest of safety, this entire post should be deleted by the moderator. It's no different to saying "I run my generator in the engine compartment" nothing ever happened to me. That is an example. ..I don't do it.

David
1999 Bayliner 1750 Capri. 3l Mercruiser Alpha

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 20 Sep 2014 21:59 #57

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 352
Remember-storing those small propane containers in the cabin or bilge is not approved.
Buy the small bottles at Sams club and you will see that it is not worth while to refill.
I have had a small cyl leak when un-attached from my small torch.
It does not take much to create an explosion.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 20 Sep 2014 23:21 #58

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258
Nothing dangerous about refilling them. Just be sure you weigh them empty and don't over-fill them. Doug's advice is spot on. Keep them in a ziplock bag with room to vent over the side and you're golden.

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 20 Sep 2014 23:36 #59

• Davidlyne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

SomeSailor wrote: Nothing dangerous about refilling them. Just be sure you weigh them empty and don't over-fill them. Doug's advice is spot on. Keep them in a ziplock bag with room to vent over the side and you're golden.

In your opinion! !!! The manufacturer doesn't necessarily agree. Hence the warning. ...not to be refilled!!!!! Bad advice.

David

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 21 Sep 2014 02:04 #60

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Davidlyne wrote: In your opinion! !!! The manufacturer doesn't necessarily agree. Hence the warning. ...not to be refilled!!!!! Bad advice.

We disagree. No harm in that.

I do many dangerous things in the course of the day. I often carry scissors improperly as well. I once ate lunch before swimming and have drank milk that was beyond the expiration date.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Harlan

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 21 Sep 2014 02:11 #61

• Waking Memories
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 53
I have used one of those adapters for years. Not sure I would use it to store any on my boat though. I have had more than a few of them leak on me. Not an instant leak but fill it, check the valve with soapy water showing no leaks but after sitting for a while.... EMPTY! I no longer try to keep a stock of the refills on hand and only refill as needed. Putting in the freezer for 15-20 min is all that is needed to get the propane to really fill the 1lb container pretty fast.

2012 185 4.3l

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 21 Sep 2014 03:39 #62

• Davidlyne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

SomeSailor wrote:

Davidlyne wrote: In your opinion! !!! The manufacturer doesn't necessarily agree. Hence the warning. ...not to be refilled!!!!! Bad advice.

We disagree. No harm in that.

I do many dangerous things in the course of the day. I often carry scissors improperly as well. I once ate lunch before swimming and have drank milk that was beyond the expiration date.

Absolutely we disagree. .and that is okay and I am taking no offence, by the same token I mean no offence to your self. I just think what we tell others should be thought through. There are a lot of du.b a** out there that won't do it correctly no matter how many times they are told. Just because you or I do it successfully doesn't mean the next person will.

David

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 21 Sep 2014 09:01 #63

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
I used to take the empties out for target practice. Then I got a refill adapter, and we used them on the boats and RV. I am now going to compromise, refill them, and take them out for target practice. Nothing like center-punching one with a .308 round... :woohoo:

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 21 Sep 2014 11:12 #64

• MidnightSun
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 199
You need to use your better judgement here and only refill bottles that still look like new. Normally I refill them 3-4 times and then just replace with almost new ones. I say almost because everyone disposes of them beside the garbage can at the marina so I pick up a few as needed and fill. As mentioned, freeze an empty for 1/2 an hour or so and the fill well to about exactly the same as when purchased off the shelf. I have couple of those small lava stone fire bowls at home on the balcony which use these little cylinders and they really eat up the gas to the tune of a bottle every 4 hrs so when used. Heck it costs only around $0.50 to fill one of these from a 20lb tank but it's not just the savings it's the convenience of refilling as required and not having to run out the buy them.

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 21 Sep 2014 13:16 #65

• Stratocaster
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Caribbean livin'
  • Thank you received: 25

Davidlyne wrote: ......when someone reads on here how to do it, then blows themselves up, who from this site is going to take responsibility.

David, BOC has no responsibility for anything that happens as a result of a member's posts. Posts are the full responsibility of the poster. It's in the disclaimer when members sign up.

Just a clarifying statement :)

Mike P
The Bahamas
Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.
Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.
Last Edit: by Stratocaster.

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 21 Sep 2014 13:43 #66

• driz
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 62

SomeSailor wrote: Nothing dangerous about filling propane bottles yourself as long as you're weighing them out and not over-filling them. I have a syphon CO2 tank that I use to fill paintball tanks as well. MUCH more dangerous if not done properly. You just need to be smarter than the container. :)

That's my take on it. You can reuse all sorts of non refillable things and the usual big warning comes from the corporates who will lose some of that bottom line if you beat them out of the price of their smaller tanks. As for safety well, just what is really safe? I equate this to reloading ammunition. If you use a bit (and a small bit at that) of common sense the odds are that you will never have any serious problem.
If you worry about age, rust ect then just change them out every few years and call it good, just like reloading bullets. When the cases get stretched toss them, not rocket science. As for storing them below decks I can't see why you would want to store them anywhere down there as well as new ones. Common sense, leave them where they will vent to the open air no matter what you use and you will live to sail another day.
Personally I never saw a big need for this refilling as you can buy them cheap in Wallyworld when they go on sale. I can see it for guys who came constantly and especially ice fishermen who go out a lot. What I would really love to know is how those lousy thieves who sell bottled gas (welding supplies) manage to charge almost as much for a small bottle (20-90 CF) refill as they do for a 260. That's pure treachery and you can't get those from wallymart. That's why I use propane for my cutting and heating almost exclusively. Oxygen sure is a rip off either way though.

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 21 Sep 2014 13:45 #67

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 352
You can buy a 4.25 lb refillable propane bottle at Lowes for $53.00.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 21 Sep 2014 14:29 #68

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The bigger danger when working with liquified gases is explosion due to over-pressurization is much more hazardous. In direct sunlight a propane tank can build to over 250 psi. CO2 is even worse at around 850 psi. I refill liquid CO2 bottles in my garage as well. You just have to appreciate the power of it and understand why weighing them is so important. Weigh one empty, fill it and weigh it again. One pound bottles hold one pound for a reason.

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 21 Sep 2014 16:08 #69

• MidnightSun
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 199
I have actually experimented with these bottles to see if I can overfill them when I first got the adapter several years back. Try as hard as you like it ain't gonna happen. The only way to overfill is to freeze a 1/2 full bottle and then fill. An empty bottle simply will not overfill, believe me I tried every trick in the book. Only problem you can encounter is an under fill which has no consequences except only having 3/4 of a tank when done. This happens if the 1lb bottle is not cold enough when being refilled.

I tried google searching to see if this 1 lb fill has ever caused an accident or mishap but fail to find any report on the web although people have been doing this for many, many years. This must mean it is pretty fool proof even for Darwin. It's a highly explosive/flammable gas, treat it with respect.

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 21 Sep 2014 17:48 #70

• Foster
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "Quo Vadimus" 1993 4588
  • Thank you received: 166

Jeffw wrote: I am now going to compromise, refill them, and take them out for target practice. Nothing like center-punching one with a .308 round... :woohoo:

That's what we love about you Jeff. always taking the middle road!!

We don't refill, but we only go through about 6 a year and we buy the six-paks on sale, so it's not a big deal. My big pain is remembering to take the empties home to be recycled.

Yep, my Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 21 Sep 2014 20:40 #71

• freedre
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
Instead of using a ziploc bag to check for leaks, you could stretch a (unused) condom over the top of the bottle.

You might have to get the XL size.

Like I used to buy.

Oh come on - that was funny!!!

Midnight Star
1996 3587
Twin diesels, Hino 250's
Ladysmith, BC
History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 21 Sep 2014 20:49 #72

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast

freedre wrote: Instead of using a ziploc bag to check for leaks, you could stretch a (unused) condom over the top of the bottle.

Like I used to buy.

Depends on how much your wife is laughing. :lol:

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 21 Sep 2014 20:51 #73

• freedre
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188

Jeffw wrote:

freedre wrote: Instead of using a ziploc bag to check for leaks, you could stretch a (unused) condom over the top of the bottle.

Like I used to buy.

Depends on how much your wife is laughing. :lol:

Oh my goodness! You are leaving yourself wide open :)

Midnight Star
1996 3587
Twin diesels, Hino 250's
Ladysmith, BC
History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 22 Sep 2014 00:38 #74

• green650
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Brian Yeates wrote: just wondering how many of you that are doing this are licensed to fill or work with propane. I know you may only end up blowing yourself up BUT you could take someone else - a stranger or a loved one - with you. This practice is not only unsafe, it is probably against the law. just saying that for the cost of those little bottles - I pick them up on sale all the time at 3 for $10 - it is not worth the risk

Really?
Do you think the 250 pound 16 year old kid at the gas station has a degree in refilling propane bottles?

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 22 Sep 2014 00:41 #75

• green650
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Like I used to buy.

I tried that, mine were too loose on the bottles. :whistle:

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds