Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: never buy 1 pound propane bottles again

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 30 Oct 2012 23:58 #26

• nile
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 50
The canisters are NOT built nor designed to be refilled. The expansion valve is a safety net to prevent bursting is case, for example, the can stays in the sun and pressure gets too high. Refilling one as an exception procedure (you forgot to take spare ones) and using it immediately is OK but doing this to save a few pennies is just plainly ridiculous. Over that, if anything happens to your boat or yourself, forget the insurance coverage. The D.O.T (Federal Law) forbids transportation if refilled – penalty up to $500,000 fine and five years imprisonment (49 U.S.C. 5124). It is smarter, if you use a lot the barbecue or other device and don't want to mess with a 30 Lbs tank, to buy a 5 or 10Lbs refillable tank and connect it. It'll last long time and is safe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

NILE
1989 3288MY 305's US Marine
Fort Lauderdale Florida

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 31 Oct 2012 00:54 #27

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 352
If I am not mistaken, those small propane cylinders are not approved for cabin or below deck storage.
I have one that when I take the propane torch off it leaks, very slowley, but leaks, I leave the torch on the cyl and stored in the shed.
You can buy those small cyl tanks at sams in 4 cyl in each package, not much money.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 31 Oct 2012 04:46 #28

• joe440
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 47
A lot of pros and cons on this. I`ll play safe and buy new ones, they are cheap enough and we don`t use many during the season. :)

1989 3288
"Defiant"
5.7 L gas powered

2003 Yamaha FX Cruiser

MMSI 316 034 392

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 31 Oct 2012 22:52 #29

• 92CieraSB
  • Thank you received: 1

joe440;731319 wrote: A lot of pros and cons on this. I`ll play safe and buy new ones, they are cheap enough and we don`t use many during the season. :)

Me 2...:worth

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 02 Nov 2012 12:47 #30

• Vic Stewart
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 39
Me 3

"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then"

Vic
Ft Myers

Vic Stewart SN
Past Commander
Cape Fear Power Squadron
Ft Myers Power Squadron
1998 2859 7.4 L/B2
Raw water cooled

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 06 Nov 2012 23:13 #31

• rwidman
  • Thank you received: 0

boatworkfl;731271 wrote: If I am not mistaken, those small propane cylinders are not approved for cabin or below deck storage.,,,,,,,,.

No propane cylinders or tanks are approved for cabin or below deck storage. A boat that was built with a factory propane system (for cooking) will have a propane locker for the tank(s). There are several ABYC safety specifications for the tanks.

Propane (like gasoline vapor) is heavier than air and will settle and concentrate in the lowest point of a boat, waiting for a source of ignition.

Ron

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 10 Nov 2012 17:16 #32

• captharv
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 85
I agree with the above as not being wise to refil the bottles, which are not designed to be refilled.
Note: there are bottles sold which ARE designed for that purpose.
I would be very afraid of getting a piece of dirt in the valve, and it having a slow leak in an unoccupied boat.

Captharv 2001 2452
"When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 06 Sep 2013 03:48 #33

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 115
"saving money" and "boating" lol !

I buy these for about $2.50 a pop and store them outside. I really don't see the point in refilling them. Sounds like trouble.

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 06 Sep 2013 04:31 #34

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

mullhaupt;723425 wrote: or buy the 4.5lb bottle its still small but great for camping stoves and portable bbq's and get the hose kit too

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/Refillable-Steel-Propane-Cylinders-4-5-lb-1-gal-/56052/&?&affiliateid=3274&cvsfa=2734&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3536303532&gclid=CJTcybSh27ICFWThQgodxksASA

+1 on this one!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 06 Sep 2013 04:36 #35

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Some people do not understand the dangers of propane leaks.
If you cannot afford to buy a small propane cyl, such as avail. at Sams or Costco in a 4 pack......?

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 06 Sep 2013 13:49 #36

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
We refill ours and use them on the BBQ only. We also keep them out of the engine bay or cabin. We also have a propane detector in the cabin and the engine bay... We are aware of leaks... Even new bottles can leak when they get hot.

Keep them out of the sun and warm environments. If that is not possible, don't carry them on your boat or carry ones that are partially empty to minimize the risk of leaks...

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 06 Sep 2013 14:56 #37

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258
Nothing dangerous about filling propane bottles yourself as long as you're weighing them out and not over-filling them. I have a syphon CO2 tank that I use to fill paintball tanks as well. MUCH more dangerous if not done properly. You just need to be smarter than the container. :)

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 06 Sep 2013 17:00 #38

• green650
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
And it's no different than a can of gasoline. Treat it like a can of gasoline, don't keep it in the cabin or the bilge.
No need to be scared of it. Just be educated about it and treat it with respect.

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 06 Sep 2013 17:29 #39

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Only caution is the subtle differences between liquified gases and gasoline. Overfill a steel propane can and best case is the OPD dumping gas into your boat. Worst case and the canister bursts. Vapor pressure of propane can get high fast. Just be sure you don;t add over 1# and you're fine from that perspective. I weigh all of mine when I refilled them.

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 12 Sep 2013 22:28 #40

• MidnightSun
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 199
Just be smart about it and do it safely. Some of the adapters found on ebay are zinc chromate treated steel. Needless to say, steel against steel can cause a spark. I had 2 delivered from China this spring and they were really high quality brass and the machining was as good as it gets. I keep one at the boat and one at home. Here is the link if anyone is interested. http://www.ebay.com/itm/221240168957?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I have found the best way to fill these is to freeze the empty bottle and once frozen, screw onto donor tank. Invert donor tank, open valve and wait about 2 minutes or until sound of fluid transferring stops which is about 2 minutes or less. I have done this many, many times and each time if I shake the filled bottle I can easily hear the air space which is just about the same as a newly purchased one of the shelf. Also, by weighing a new one purchased off the shelf vs a freshly filled one, it proves to be the same weight each and every time.

I am not new to this as I also have a large co2 tank I use to fill my soda stream bottles and a 4500psi carbon tank which contains air to fill my PCP air rifle/pistol or tree rat deterrent if you prefer. :scared

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 13 Sep 2013 00:42 #41

• driz
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 62
I am not new to this as I also have a large co2 tank I use to fill my soda stream bottles and a 4500psi carbon tank which contains air to fill my PCP air rifle/pistol or tree rat deterrent if you prefer. :scared[/QUOTE]

;Ahhh, someone who has cracked the square threaded soda stream rip off scam. So just how do you do it? I am tired of paying cost plus for those bottles.

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 13 Sep 2013 01:27 #42

• Jerms
  • Thank you received: 2
What would you all suggest for storage on an Explorer that,s being lived on? I'd keep them outside in a separate container, but living in Alaska we will obviously reach temps below freezing. What effects will that have if we pull a tank from outside and hook it to our stove for cooking? Should we wait a bit for it to cool? Or is there any concern with this? Thanks!

1979 25' Saratoga Mercruiser 350.
1980 26' Explorer. Live aboard. Re-power next year.
Still learning, please excuse my ignorance. Cheers!

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 13 Sep 2013 01:57 #43

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

driz;810562 wrote: So just how do you do it? I am tired of paying cost plus for those bottles.

http://palmer-pursuit.com/cart/soda-c-149.html

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 13 Sep 2013 02:36 #44

• MidnightSun
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

;Ahhh, someone who has cracked the square threaded soda stream rip off scam. So just how do you do it? I am tired of paying cost plus for those bottles.

I use this http://co2doctor.com/fillstationproIIspec.htm My tank looks like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-20lb-Aluminum-co2-Tank-Homebrew-Welding-Hydroponic-CGA320-Valve-/280951289835

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 13 Sep 2013 02:54 #45

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
You just need to be sure your CO2 tank has a siphon tube.

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 13 Sep 2013 09:27 #46

• MidnightSun
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

SomeSailor;810597 wrote: You just need to be sure your CO2 tank has a siphon tube.

Not required if you flip it over just like you need to do with the propane bottle donor tank when filling the 1lb bottles.

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 13 Sep 2013 12:36 #47

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

MidnightSun;810636 wrote: Not required if you flip it over just like you need to do with the propane bottle donor tank when filling the 1lb bottles.

If you're not careful, you can get a chunk of dry ice in the liquid. Since CO2 sublimates from solid to vapor only at room temperature, you run the risk of a burst. Filling CO2 bottles is not inherently dangerous, but you do have to understand the physics of the two and how they differ. They can go boom if filled wrong.

One way around using a regular bottle is to hang or mount the CO2 bottle upside down. An easier way is to get a bottle with a dip tube (syphon bottle). I have a 50# tank in my garage.

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 14 Sep 2013 13:29 #48

• driz
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 62

MidnightSun;810588 wrote: I use this http://co2doctor.com/fillstationproIIspec.htm My tank looks like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-20lb-Aluminum-co2-Tank-Homebrew-Welding-Hydroponic-CGA320-Valve-/280951289835

That change out valve is a good idea. I just got my hands on an old CO2 tank that my buddies long dead father had for his kegorator. It's the old style that looks like my cutting rigs Oxy bottle. I was going to rig it to my Mig welder but thinking about it, it might well do double duty with the Soda Stream. I'll do anything to avoid the bottled gas rip off. Now days just getting a small oxy or tri mix 90CF bottle costs as much as to fill a full size 260 welders tank set. What a rip off. Where do you get that carbonator tank filled anyways, hopefully not the welder supply?

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 14 Sep 2013 14:15 #49

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Something to consider when storing either new or refilled pounders is to put them in a gallon zip lock and squeeze most of the air out. This way one can monitor for leaks visually. The extreme would be to vacuum seal them. Either way this works well in a saltwater environment and slows coorosion as well...

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

never buy 1 pound propane bottles again 14 Sep 2013 14:41 #50

• MidnightSun
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

driz;810899 wrote: That change out valve is a good idea. I just got my hands on an old CO2 tank that my buddies long dead father had for his kegorator. It's the old style that looks like my cutting rigs Oxy bottle. I was going to rig it to my Mig welder but thinking about it, it might well do double duty with the Soda Stream. I'll do anything to avoid the bottled gas rip off. Now days just getting a small oxy or tri mix 90CF bottle costs as much as to fill a full size 260 welders tank set. What a rip off. Where do you get that carbonator tank filled anyways, hopefully not the welder supply?

I do go to our welding supply :eek: HOWEVER It is filled with "Food Grade" CO2 and does say so on the refill tag. Company I deal with is not a little place either. These are the guys http://www.linde-gas.com/en/index.html

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds