Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Canajun recipe eh?

Canajun recipe eh? 10 Apr 2007 19:58 #1

• thelazylizard
  • thelazylizard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I like to take along some canadian back bacon (it is basically cooked ,like ham it just needs heating) shred the bacon and mix with eggs and anything else you like, put in a microwave-safe dish and nuke. Stir once or twice while cooking and drizzle with maple syrup before serving.
For the life of me, I can't understand why some dishes sort of stay regional and don't catch on elsewhere, like biscuits and gravy for instance. I was doing a trade show in Indiannapolis when a gent from Texas introduced me to this fine delicacy. He called us Canadians a " bunch of heathens " when he found out you couldn't get biscuits and gravy in Canada. That might be overstated a tad but I DO have chicken and corn bread, and biscuits and gravy for brekky, lunch and supper whenever I'm in the good ole' U.S. of A.
the Admiral says I'm,
Capt. Kenny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Admiral says I'm,
Capt. Kenny

Canajun recipe eh? 10 Apr 2007 21:23 #2

• Stratocaster
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Caribbean livin'
  • Thank you received: 25
I'm in South Carolina right now, and every morning in the hotel's buffet I see grits. I don't know what to do with them and don't want to be pointed and laughed at, so I haven't tried them!

Another funny thing. You can buy Mott's Clamato juice everywhere, but as soon as you cross the US border, you can't order a Caesar in a bar. Inferior Bloody Marys only! ;)

Mike P
The Bahamas
Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.
Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

Canajun recipe eh? 10 Apr 2007 22:14 #3

• thelazylizard
  • thelazylizard's Avatar Topic Author
Mike, if you want to know what grits are, you could basically head down to Stanley Park and scoop a panful of the sand there into a bowl. Very aptly named indeed. Your story about clam is too funny, I was trying to explain to a bartender one time that a caeser is basically a Bloody Mary with clam juice in it and he just kind of looked at me like I had a penis growing out of my forehead.

The Admiral says I'm,
Capt. Kenny

Canajun recipe eh? 10 Apr 2007 22:17 #4

• overtime39
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Take your grits put them on top of your sunny side up eggs mix well with a fork salt and pepper to taste and dig in sopping up whats left with toast. Its great. Thats the way I like them. You could eat them separate if you wanted. :arr

Canajun recipe eh? 29 Apr 2007 22:47 #5

• Orca III
Mike - hope you enjoyed your stay in S.C. and gave the grits a try. I live between Charleston and Beaufort, and one of the specialties around here is shrimp and grits. Awesome if you get someone who knows how to cook it!!!! Hope you got a chance to try those - if not, come on back - you won't be sorry. Lazy Lizard, sounds like you had a bad experience - some one must have tried to slip you some Cream of Wheat!!!:D

Kim Miller and Tyke - labradoodle and first mate
Walterboro, South Carolina
"Orca III" 1987 Capri Cuddy

"He's somewhere on the ocean now...
That's where he ought to be.
One hand on the starboard rail,
He's wavin' back at me."
- Jimmy Buffett
"The Captain and the Kid"

Canajun recipe eh? 30 Apr 2007 04:19 #6

• nowakezone56
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

....if you want to know what grits are, you could basically head down to Stanley Park and scoop a panful of the sand there into a bowl. Very aptly named indeed. Your story about clam is too funny, I was trying to explain to a bartender one time that a caeser is basically a Bloody Mary with clam juice in it and he just kind of looked at me like I had a penis growing out of my forehead.

This post cracks me up. It would be easy to miss the irony here. And.... as most ironies go outside of the literary world.... I'm fairly sure the author didn't script this one intentionally. Either way, this quote is an elegant exposure of who we are as people.

Canajun recipe eh? 06 May 2007 01:09 #7

• JohnL
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Heres a breakfast grits recipe from my Dad's family that few others seem to know. Cook the grits, then cut some sharp cheese (Cracker Barrel works good) into small wedges or spikes and poke lots of them them into the hot bowl of grits. Let the cheese melt abit, add salt and pepper and mix it all up with a fork. UMMMM good!

Blue Highways
93 2452

Canajun recipe eh? 23 Aug 2007 14:55 #8

• Chris on the James
I happen to be a proud Damn Yankee stuck in Virginia, been here going on 29 yrs. now. Grits are not too bad as long as you get them hot, butter and salt them up. Go for the gusto and eat grits.

Canajun recipe eh? 23 Aug 2007 16:54 #9

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252

Chris on the James;61602 wrote: I happen to be a proud Damn Yankee stuck in Virginia, been here going on 29 yrs. now. Grits are not too bad as long as you get them hot, butter and salt them up. Go for the gusto and eat grits.

the last thing I need is another delivery system for butter and salt!

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Canajun recipe eh? 05 Sep 2007 15:25 #10

• lottinala
like overtime39 said, now thats the way us true southerners eat grits. with a little home fries and a big cold glass of milk.

"Almost Da' Beach"
1995 3258 avanti
Docked in huntsville, alabama

Canajun recipe eh? 05 Sep 2007 17:41 #11

• Syzygyone
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

whiskywizard;61644 wrote: the last thing I need is another delivery system for butter and salt!

I LOVE GRITS!
I take 'em hot, buttered and with maple syrup (brown sugar if no syrup)
Nothin better is ya'll ask me!

thelazylizard;12160 wrote: I like to take along some canadian back bacon (it is basically cooked ,like ham it just needs heating

As far as Canadian bacon, I see no reason for it to exist. It isn't bacon, so why not just call it round ham slices, at least to differntiate it from rectancgular ham products likes SPAM.:prod

Good Luck & Smooth Cruisin' to ya'll! :arr
The Admiral and Syzygyone
"Afternoon Delight"

Albums - '77 Sea Ray 240 SRV SDB; '03 Bayliner 175

Canajun recipe eh? 07 Sep 2007 08:22 #12

• vegasbayliner
The ONLY ones who seem to use the term "Canadian Bacon" is Americans, go figure. In Canada it is called back bacon. Which is what it really is by the way. Also called peameal bacon in Canada.

Also on another note..... Y'all need to switch to the metric system like the rest of the world,
and yes AMERICA is part of the world!!......eh? :kidding

I case you have not guessed I was Canadian born, that's right, I said it!!

Two toasted back bacon sandwiches, hold the toast! (Quoted from Doug Mckenzie in Strange Brew)

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Two toasted back bacon sandwiches, hold the toast!
See my YouTube Channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/VegasBayliner

Canajun recipe eh? 25 Oct 2007 20:19 #13

• MVHespera
Vegas, you got a great dog in that pic, we have one too. But the picture is great, back in the day the Canucks were not allowed to market long necks so all the beer came in identical brown bottles affectionatley called "stubbies". They've been gone for a while now but kind of ages the "Hosers"

Fair winds and calm seas

Canajun recipe eh? 23 Nov 2007 09:14 #14

• ModMMax
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Up here, we just call it "bacon".

Canajun recipe eh? 24 Nov 2007 12:31 #15

• Ned Stribling
Got to love some grits(that's what we call the food and the ladies down here "Girls Raised In The South") Don't dare leave SC without trying our lowcountry favorite shrimp and grits! Then again some fish and grits with tomatoes can't be beat for breakfast.:) Gotta go now....time to put the grits on the stove.

Stratocaster;12139 wrote: I'm in South Carolina right now, and every morning in the hotel's buffet I see grits. I don't know what to do with them and don't want to be pointed and laughed at, so I haven't tried them!

Another funny thing. You can buy Mott's Clamato juice everywhere, but as soon as you cross the US border, you can't order a Caesar in a bar. Inferior Bloody Marys only! ;)

Revenge :arr
1988 2155 Ciera Sunbridge, Mercruiser Chevy with Cobra Outdrive
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds