Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Char Broil Portable Grill Users

Char Broil Portable Grill Users 17 Jul 2007 18:29 #1

• Chasin' the Bubble
  • Chasin' the Bubble's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I have seen that some of you have a Char Broil portable propane grill like I do. I just wondered where on board have you used it. Usually we will take it on shore to cook; however, I have used it while on the portable table by the L-Lounge. Kinda messy though, splatter gets on the seat. Also I'm not to thrilled about it's stability when another boaters definition of "no wake" is not the same as mine:hammer . Also how do you store it? Mine has openings on the bottom & can get grease on things. Currently I let it cool & put it on top of a paper grocery bag on the floor of my head, but that makes the head a little hard to use :p . I do want to get an actual rail mounted grill, but don't want to spend the $$$ on that right now. Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

:cool: R.J. & Lisa :cool:

Char Broil Portable Grill Users 17 Jul 2007 20:24 #2

• islander
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
RJ, look at the the bottom posts in the "What kind of grill do you have"

Char Broil Portable Grill Users 17 Jul 2007 21:02 #3

• Chasin' the Bubble
That's a nice set up. I'm gonna have to get busy trying rig something like that. Maybe off a rod holder mount or something. Don't how I would get that work table set to work on my boat though. Thanks for the idea.

Char Broil Portable Grill Users 20 Jul 2007 02:45 #4

• rocstar
Supposedly the Grillbuddy also works with a Charbroil portable. That's probably the grill I'll use with mine after it arrives.

Char Broil Portable Grill Users 20 Jul 2007 19:41 #5

• Chasin' the Bubble
Rocstar be sure to post your results with the grill buddy. I would be interested if it works out. I definatly want to rig some type of set up soon.

Char Broil Portable Grill Users 26 Jul 2007 01:43 #6

• rocstar
Just got my Grillbuddy today, and went out and bought a Charbroil at Target (they call it a Thermos grill). Once assembled, it fit really nice on the Grillbuddy, and there is very little chance it could fall off. Plus, the Grillbuddy will double as a cutting board table. The best part is that I can remove the Grillbuddy without tools, and leave just the mounting block, which is about 3"x3"x3".
My total investment, $65 for the Grillbuddy (inc. shipping), and $25 for the Charbroil. I can just throw out the grill whenever I want and buy a new one. It will take me 10 years to equal the cost of a Magma.

Char Broil Portable Grill Users 27 Jul 2007 20:47 #7

• Chasin' the Bubble
rocstar got any pics of that set up you can post?

Char Broil Portable Grill Users 01 Aug 2007 02:32 #8

• rocstar
I'll get some pictures. I ran into a snag with the Grillbuddy. It is meant to mount on a vertical rail post. In that position, it would be ideal, and would hold the grill quite well. I wouldn't go cruising with a grill mounted, but you could put it on when you anchor or dock. I don't have a vertical rail, they are all angled, so I mounted it on the horizontal rail bar. It worked fine for a while, but eventually gravity got the best of it and it rotated, dumping the grill over. I was there to catch it, and no harm was done. I'm sure this is the same problem with most of the grill mounts. They can't clamp around a horizontal rail without a tendency to rotate.
So now I have to come up with a different way to mount the Grillbuddy. One option is to get a stainless steel clamp mount rod holder. These can be rotated into any position. Next I would have to make a 7/8" or 1" pipe fit snugly into the rod holder, which appears to be a 2" diameter hole.
I'm pretty sure I would need to do the same thing with any grill mount system. I'll post when I get it figured out.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds