Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cedar plank salmon

Cedar plank salmon 21 Jun 2007 16:15 #1

• Blue Bayou Too
  • Blue Bayou Too's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Not an on-board cooking discussion, but something I wanted to share. For Father's Day my daughter bought me a four pack of untreated cedar planks for cooking on the grill. Tuesday I bought a salmon fillet, soaked the cedar plank for an hour and made the salmon on top of the plank on the gas grill. I started on medium and then turned the heat down to low as the plank started to smoke.

I must say, and the whole family will agree, it was tremendous. Very moist and the smoke is quite a diffent flavor than using hickory or other wood chips. It is certainly something to try.

My daughter got the planks as Wegmans, but I have been told they are also available at Home Depot. Be sure they are untreated and designed for cooking.:arr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cedar plank salmon 21 Jun 2007 17:25 #2

• brk
  • Thank you received: 0
Funny, I made cedar-plank salmon on the grill last night also.

Soaked the plank the same as you did, but after flipping it on the grill, I covered the top with some Appleton overproof white rum. Then I make a light glaze from the same rum, some honey, minced garlic, olive oil and red pepper. Let the salmon cook for about 5 minutes, and then pour half the glaze on top. When it's closer to done, and the flesh starts to separate a little bit, pour the rest of the glaze over it and then finish it.

Cedar plank salmon 22 Jun 2007 21:57 #3

• express
Blue, we tried cedar planks also. Got them from home depot and the salmon was fantastac. But if you want a smoke that really compliments Salmon, you ought to try apple or alder...

That rum glaze sounds interesting...

Cedar plank salmon 21 Sep 2007 22:06 #4

• bsuttie
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Don't pay for special Cedar planks. Just get some cedar fence boards, soak them (the longer the better). Put the smooth side down and the rough side up (unless you paid extra for S4S) on the BBQ. Sprinkle the rough side with coarse rock salt them lay the fillet on top of the rock salt. Use your favorite recipe for the fish.

Brian
Meridian 490 "Salish Mariner"
Vancouver, BC

Cedar plank salmon 25 Sep 2007 13:59 #5

• mowhawky
You can cook dogfish the same way but for the last step throw the fish away and eat the board!

:kidding

2000 2859 7.4 MPI Bravo II
M/V Kenny V. (In honor of my fishing buddy who is boating and fishing in a place where the water is always calm and the fish are huge.)

Cedar plank salmon 25 Sep 2007 16:40 #6

• SwampNut
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 215

Just get some cedar fence boards

Some of those are treated to prevent rot/mold, and contain deadly chemicals. Only use lumber yard wood if you feel you can be SURE it is not treated.

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion."
-Steven Weinberg

Cedar plank salmon 15 Jan 2008 06:56 #7

• Monterey10
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Hi
  • Thank you received: 2
Costco had them for awhile. Pretty good deal.

Craig Capitola Village, CA
1988 Bayliner 2556 (BoatAsaurus)
1996 Trophy 2352 (Mystic)

Cedar plank salmon 27 Jan 2008 23:40 #8

• Nehalennia
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 9

bsuttie;70949 wrote: Don't pay for special Cedar planks. Just get some cedar fence boards, soak them (the longer the better). Put the smooth side down and the rough side up (unless you paid extra for S4S) on the BBQ. Sprinkle the rough side with coarse rock salt them lay the fillet on top of the rock salt. Use your favorite recipe for the fish.

I agree, here in the PacNW cedar(UNTREATED) is easy to come by. I have bought fence boards and done it for years. I usually have done to recipes. Soak the boards for, like mentioned, as long as you can. Minimum 1 hour.
Recipe 1:
The Admiral loves melted butter brushed on the fish skin side on the board.
Then grab a couple handfuls of brown sugar and cover the butter evenly.
Recipe 2:
I try to soak this filet for 1 hour in soy sauce, 3 tablespoons of dry wasabi powder, then repeat the butter and brown sugar step. If you have any Craisins (dried cranberries) sprinkle those on as well.

Cook both for 50 minutes on just under medium around 375-400 if your Q has a thermometer.

Skål,
Todd
~Nehalennia ∆~ Celtic Goddess of the Seafarers
2000 ~ SeaRay ~ 260DA, 5.7L EFI, Bravo III

MMSI: 338080206

Cedar plank salmon 03 Feb 2008 22:15 #9

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258
Also... untreated fence boards are cut and processed in the plant and mill that does treated wood. You're asking to get copper arsenide or other junk in your food.

Be careful what cedar you're using.

Cedar plank salmon 16 Apr 2008 22:06 #10

• JohnQ
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5

Nehalennia;107426 wrote: I agree, here in the PacNW cedar(UNTREATED) is easy to come by. I have bought fence boards and done it for years. I usually have done to recipes. Soak the boards for, like mentioned, as long as you can. Minimum 1 hour.
Recipe 1:
The Admiral loves melted butter brushed on the fish skin side on the board.
Then grab a couple handfuls of brown sugar and cover the butter evenly.
Recipe 2:
I try to soak this filet for 1 hour in soy sauce, 3 tablespoons of dry wasabi powder, then repeat the butter and brown sugar step. If you have any Craisins (dried cranberries) sprinkle those on as well.

Cook both for 50 minutes on just under medium around 375-400 if your Q has a thermometer.

Try equal portions of brown sugar and cajun blackening season. Smokes a lot but is yummy, also works for halibut:cool:

Upper Left Hand Corner -- Freshwater Bay
1995 2002 W/A Trophy
MMSI Number: 338070644

Cedar plank salmon 16 Apr 2008 22:10 #11

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534

I try to soak this filet for 1 hour in soy sauce, 3 tablespoons of dry wasabi powder, then repeat the butter and brown sugar step.

I did that one except I used fresh wasabi acouple of times. I used so much wasabi it was really hot to the taste. After cooking, the "heat" went away... and the salmon was awesome...

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cedar plank salmon 17 Apr 2008 00:02 #12

• Nehalennia
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 9

Go Aweigh2452;136998 wrote: I did that one except I used fresh wasabi acouple of times. I used so much wasabi it was really hot to the taste. After cooking, the "heat" went away... and the salmon was awesome...

That's what I'm talking about

Skål,
Todd
~Nehalennia ∆~ Celtic Goddess of the Seafarers
2000 ~ SeaRay ~ 260DA, 5.7L EFI, Bravo III

MMSI: 338080206

Cedar plank salmon 17 Apr 2008 12:17 #13

• The_Sea_Word
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

SomeSailor;109435 wrote: Also... untreated fence boards are cut and processed in the plant and mill that does treated wood. You're asking to get copper arsenide or other junk in your food.

Be careful what cedar you're using.

They may come from the same mill, but treated lumber is treated AFTER being milled to finished dimensions, so this is not a big risk factor IMO. Caution lies on a continuum between carelessness and paranoia. Milling machinery is not the cleanest either, but short of splitting your own cedar, it's unavoidable, and harmless.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds